PDA

View Full Version : Help with GH and KH

Jason.59
01-06-2012, 04:47 AM
Hey everyone,
I was just testing some of the perimeters in my new cycled tank today and found out that my GH and KH wore extremely high ( I use the API test kit and i had to use 12 drops or more to get a reading witch concluded that my GH is at 214ppm or more and my KH is 12 or more) i am planing on doing a low tech planted discus tank.
How can i lower these levels, i have heard RO systems get the job done as well as a CO2 injection tank(also which one is more cost friendly).

What would you suggest?
Will this high perimeters cause problems?

Thank you in advance
Jason

Chad Hughes
01-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Jason,

Good morning and welcome to the forum!

You and I have similar water. Hard. RO is an option but isn't necessary for your intentions.

I would just leave it alone. You may use a little bit more CO2 based on the buffering capacity of the water but CO2 is cheap.

One word of caution with discus.... be careful that your CO2 saturation doesn't get too high. I always recommend the use of pressurized solenoid controlled CO2 in discus tanks. This method offers the most control and stability for discus.

Hope that helps!

shoveltrash
01-06-2012, 05:50 PM
hi Jason - I've got very hard water too, similar readings to yours. surprisingly Discus adapt to these parameters (tank-bred).
what's your pH? mine out of the tap is 7.4, but then aged it rises to 8-8.3. definitely consider aging your water if you decide to do this, because pH swings with water changes can be hard on fish.

I'm still considering RO - just to cut the TDS & lower the pH. but for now I'm sticking with my well water (and it's softened!).

I know nothing about plants, so can't advise there. and I'm a total newbie to Discus! just wanted to share my experience thus far.
good luck!

Jason.59
01-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Thank you Chad,
by any chance can you recommend me a specific model that would get the job done and isn't too costly?
i have never used a CO2 unit in my past tanks and searching online i see the price varies.

Thanks for the help again
Jason