PDA

View Full Version : more ro questions

Bud
01-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Im planning on purchasing an ro unit.As you could imagine I have some questions.....First off,thanks to this site and its info for helping me successfully raise 7 juvie discus,only had them for a year and theyre growing great although my ph is extremely high(a little over 8 after aging)and their fins are starting to melt.I want to know if I can drip the ro water right in the tank without storing and aging?My theory would hopefully be the constant drip would be steady permameters.Or am I going to have to experiment with it?Anyone have this type of set-up?

jimg
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't think the fins are related to high ph/gh at all. as for ro I'd wait for someone who has done that to answer, I store mine in a 55 gal drum and have my most my tanks piped to a pump and do it as needed, not automatic. There is a guy vince c on here that I think still does that

Chicago Discus
01-08-2012, 09:53 PM
I use a 55 gallon drum for my R/O unit and mix in a aged tap/RO mix.....can you show us a photo of the discus so we can see the Fins, maybe something else is going on.....Josie

Discoholic
01-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't think the fins are related to high ph/gh at all.

+1. I keep my breeders on a drip system with pure RO and nothing else added with good results. On the flip side, all my grow outs get the waste water from the RO (also drip) with a TDS of ~ 500 and a pH around 8.2 also with good results.

Bud
01-08-2012, 11:33 PM
hmmm...think Ive read on people on this forum attribute shaggy (or what looks to me to be melted fins) on high ph levels?I have a tds meter on its way(which Im positive is VERY high).I have been doing 130% w/cs daily for the past year(aged)I will post pics of them tomorrow.

Bud
01-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Heres the photo of what i think as melted fins.I know this should be in another area but I thought high ph was causing this.Any advise would greatly be appreciated.This ones the worst,other fins on others starting to"split" too.

Chicago Discus
01-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Heres the photo of what i think as melted fins.I know this should be in another area but I thought high ph was causing this.Any advise would greatly be appreciated.This ones the worst,other fins on others starting to"split" too.

Im not sure whats wrong with him maybe someone will chime in that has seen that before....