PDA

View Full Version : Adding filtration

TexasDiscus!!
01-10-2012, 12:42 AM
I have a newer 4 month cycled 150 Gallon aquarium. But I only have one Rena Filstar xP canister filter. I am thinking of adding a fluval FX5. This would not contain cycled media. Is it safe to throw it on my tank? Plug and play with uncycled media?

A little background, I have a planted discus tank with about 9 discus. 2 adult 6" and the rest adolescents. 20 corys, 6 bos. Rainbows, I do 40% WC weekly. It truly is hard to find time to do it more frequently. Plus I buy RO water. I do not believe this is neglect to my discus, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

With better filtration would this be a decent regiment? What filtration is recommended?

Bill63SG
01-10-2012, 12:52 AM
My opinion,it aint gonna get cycled until you put it in the chain.I don't know about the ro,but I have an established 150 planted,and I do about a 75% once a week.If you have adolescents in the tank,thats a little rough.I do bare bottom in my basement to grow-out,75gals,75% wc every other day.

TexasDiscus!!
01-10-2012, 02:44 AM
So your opinion is to just put the filter in my tank and let it cycle? Any drawbacks here I should be aware of? Unhealthy fish perhaps.

nc0gnet0
01-10-2012, 03:20 AM
The filter will be fine and won't harm a thing. However, all the filtration in the world won't reduce your need for water changes. All a canister filter does is pull the gunk out of your tank and then it gets stuck in the canister on some filter pad. And all the water in your tank still passes over this gunk. It makes your tank look cleaner to you, but to your fish that gunk is still in the tank. Instead of trying to figure out a way to make water changes unneeded or less frequent, why don't you figure out a way to make doing water changes easier and faster. For the price of an FX5 you can by your self a pretty nice RO unit and still have money left over for a python.

Rick

Ken
01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
+1 on the Python, you may not need the RO, Whats your thoughts on using tap water

TexasDiscus!!
01-11-2012, 01:44 AM
+1 on the Python, you may not need the RO, Whats your thoughts on using tap water

Solo the tap water here in San Antonio comes out with a PH of about 8.2. It is ridiculously heavy with minerals. So much so I can see it on my glasses after washing dishes.

I am told discus prefer RO as it will keep them happy and make their colors pop? With my regiment will the discus be in any harm?

farebox
01-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Hello, I live in San Antonio, TX. and have three discus tanks, 125GA, 55GA, and 40GA breeder, total of 25 discus. I do 50% water changes every three days on the 125GA, 50% WC every other day on the 55GA, and 50% WC everyday on the 40GA breeder tank. I use an python water changer and have an 5 stage plus RO/DI unit and store the water in 32GA Brute trash can and pump the water to the tanks during WC's. I have good results with about an 40% mixture of ro/di with tap with prime added. My discus have breed, eggs, wrigglers, and fry over the last 18 months using this setup. I also have an FX5 filter on my 125GA and sponge filter for large tank, but nothing beats the routine water changes to have good results with discus.....
farebox