PDA

View Full Version : Using RO Right Question

DiscusLoverJeff
01-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Hello friends,

I added RO Right to my 32 gal holding tank where its 100% RO water with a TDS of 8 and a ph of 6.4. After 30 minutes of adding RO Right, my TDs hit 210 and ph hit 7.8. From what I understood from previous posts from people using RO Right, this was not suppose to happen. I am glad I checked the TDS and ph before I did my water change as I could have shocked the fish. The TDS is my breeding tank was 65/70.

Any ideas if this will come down and if so, how long after adding RO Right to the water?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jason K.
01-10-2012, 06:20 PM
How much did you add Jeff?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Well the instruction say for "discus" 1/2 teaspoon per ten gallons. I did not expect a water spike like this from this product (Kent).

Should I not age the water 24 hours? Not sure why the sudden spike.

Jason K.
01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
when I mix the stuff I usually only have to add 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons to bring my 55 gallon holding barrel to a tds of 50-60 I've never tested the ph.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Thats what I was told Jason that it would increase slightly but this was off the charts. TDS from 8 to over 200? I added another 5 gallons of RO water and got the TDS down to 190, but that will still shock the discus.

Also, since I do not need aeration for pure RO water I did not figure the numbers to climb like that.

Jason K.
01-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Is this kent's Ro right? if so I've never seen such a drastic increase... but as I'm currently mixing it I'm at 20 or so gallon's more water to you're ratio. I'd try another batch and add only 1/2 teaspoon at a time until you reach you're sweetspot. what's you current perameter's?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
I am trying to keep my breeding pair and planted tank at TDS of 70/90 and ph around the 6.2/6.4 mark. I will keep adding more RO until I bring these numbers down. Thanks Jason. Kent product is what everyone seem to recommend.

Jason K.
01-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Also Jeff, I treat my ro barrels no differently than my other barrel's it's alway's heated and aerated...hth

Discus Origins
01-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Hi Jeff, that is a big diff in measurements. I personally use Kent Discus Essentials so not familiar with the RO right. What are the ingredients in RO right can you post so I can compare?

Sean Buehrle
01-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Of course the tds is going to go back up, that's what ro right is supposed to do.
You removed all the unwanted minerals and added supposed wanted minerals back.

You just used too much :)

DiscusLoverJeff
01-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Hi Mark,

There is no real ingredients list for this product other than what I am listing from the website.

A perfect mix of salts and trace elements to balance RO and deionized water, including calcium, sodium, potassium, and magnesium. Phosphate- and nitrate-free. Use for both soft and hard water.

I am just curious though if I use 100% pure RO water in my holding tanks and a bit of RO Right, does my RO water still need to be aerated?

Discus Origins
01-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Jeff, you don't need to aerate if using RO. Aerating is to diffuse the chlorine in tap, if you've ran the water thru carbon block in the unit you are good to go.

TexasDiscus!!
01-24-2012, 12:18 AM
I have been using strait RO in my planted discus tank? Are there significant differences to be seen by using an RO right product? Any bad side affects to not using it?

TexasDiscus!!
01-26-2012, 10:49 PM
No one?

Sean Buehrle
01-26-2012, 11:01 PM
I have been using strait RO in my planted discus tank? Are there significant differences to be seen by using an RO right product? Any bad side affects to not using it?

Search for joes recipe here on simply, it's a good alternative to ro right.

Liz uses straight ro water on her fish and she says she has noticed no bad effects.

I have been reading on the net tonight about the subject of ph shock and have came across quite a few claims that ph shock is an old wives tale and the real culprit is osmotic shock from transferring fish from one extreme Tds to another .

You should search the subject of ph shock on the net and read some of the opinions of others and decide for yourself.

Myself I have changed Tds back and forth and noticed no bad effects but you never know what other factors could make a difference.

TURQ64
01-26-2012, 11:08 PM
I have been reading on the net tonight about the subject of ph shock and have came across quite a few claims that ph shock is an old wives tale and the real culprit is osmotic shock from transferring fish from one extreme Tds to another .

That's the reality of it....

I've used straight RO for over 25 years..No problems in that respect.....

Bud
01-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Uhhmmmm....Im lost are people using strait ro without any additions of essential minerals?nooooooo?Think I need to get to sleep..:)

TURQ64
01-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Don't be lost, just read up!...In my case, I've never experienced a problem. That said, my Gh is really high, so even after the RO, I still have trace calcium in the product water. So, there is a window of hardness that is almost equal to the Amazon Basin.
I never seek any 'converts' to the use of RO..It's really a huge committment if you think about it..
I do consort with those who sail uncharted waters defying conventional wisdom.
One of my favorite songs states 'You can go to hell in a Cadillac, or get there in a Chevrolet, but once you're there, there's no turning back, so be sure you know your way'..
Kinda fits...Gary

Discus Origins
01-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Perfectly said Gary :)

Also use pure RO but I'm one who adds back some minerals from commercial products because it's already in a bottle for convenience. There are many ways to doing things just choose the one you have researched and comfortable using personally.

deepflyball
01-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Sorry but why would anyone use strait ro water??? The only time its needed is for breeding ??? Please explain??? Jerry

Bud
01-27-2012, 01:56 PM
ahhh Gary,,,my life story.I read alot of posts that say they use straight ro, then say they add minerals back in.To me thats not PURE ro,thats supplemented ro.(maybe being to technical???)

Discus Origins
01-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Sorry but why would anyone use strait ro water??? The only time its needed is for breeding ??? Please explain??? Jerry

Straight RO = 96-98% impurities, chlorine/chloramine, heavy metals, nitrates/phosphates, etc removed from tap water or well water sources. Some choose to use RO because the water is as clean as possible. It is not only to be used for breeding, but it should not be used for raising juvies without minerals added back. For some knowing that their livestock health doesn't depend on quality of their tap water is reassuring.

ahhh Gary,,,my life story.I read alot of posts that say they use straight ro, then say they add minerals back in.To me thats not PURE ro,thats supplemented ro.(maybe being to technical???)

Definitely lots of confusing terms. To me pure RO means it's not a RO/tap mix that minerals are being added back into. But I guess for simplification it could be

pure RO = straight product water
RO mix = RO/tap
reconstituted RO = pure RO with minerals added

DiscusLoverJeff
01-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Great breakdown Mark.

thefishyman
04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Adding RO Right only adds electrolytes to the water. You need to control the PH and add a PH buffer. Kent marine who produce RO Right suggest their PH buffer but the natural PH buffer is sodium bicarbonate. There is a excellent android app called “ Fish Tank Hardness” that has all the calculations for RO Right bicarbonate and both dGH and dKH so you can add Ro right to achieve a desired TDS or add RO Right to achieve a desired hardness value. It calculates both. But be aware the buffer bicarbonate will slightly raise PH as well as acting as a buffer. I use this app and its so simple I’ve checked it against my TDS meter ad it is correct. If you have a i-phone your out of luck !