PDA

View Full Version : UV sterilizer for water storage barrel???

shoveltrash
01-12-2012, 09:41 AM
just curious, does anyone use a UV sterilizer for their water storage tank/barrel???
I'm worried about my well water (bacteria), and thought about adding this.
opinions?

TURQ64
01-12-2012, 09:59 AM
My take..In my construction career, I rigged equipment in to many water processing facilities, including hospitals. I saw a lot of nifty equipment,but..we're talking fish here, not surgery...they come with tons of their own bacteria, so I think this is trying to compare apples and oranges again....I use many RO/DI's, and also use other forms of water in raising my fish..no sterilizers here, as the size necessary, and frequency of bulb replacemnts and costs are for hospitals, not hobbyists..If bacteria freak you out, then back up a step, and just boil the stuff...JME, 'do what you like' (copyright, Blind Faith)...Gary

Cevoe
01-12-2012, 10:26 AM
In a post made in the Aging Water thread I mentioned hospitals, water treatment and RO/DI as a point of reference and why I would have been talking with a field tech for these things.
I wasn't trying to draw a comparison between their intended use there and what we do as discus hobbyist.
Also in that thread I noticed some people that age water and how they maintain their barrels and also noticed that a couple of the same people are having problems currently with their fish.
My question is the same question Trish is asking here.
I am not really familiar with UV sterilizers but was thinking that if one were piped inline and circulated through stored water would that help in cutting off pathogens before they have a chance to get into the discus tanks?

Northwoods Discus
01-12-2012, 10:40 AM
U/V sterilization would not hurt anything but seems rather expensive to do. Cleaning the barrel regularly would be important. The other thing I have been thinking about is just using potassium permanganate PP periodically in the barrel and pump etc. Then neutralize it. We use it in tanks for treatment anyway. Just my thoughts.

jimg
01-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I installed a whole house uv sterilizer so any water that enters my house is treated. so that is basically the same as someone putting a uv in a storage barrel. I did that due to my water comes from reservoirs and I seen by scoping what comes in.
the co i work for builds water and waste water plants, i have talked to the water superintendents and they both agree that uv for open water course's was a very good idea.
The uv use in hvac systems I believe came from the legionaries disease cases

shoveltrash
01-12-2012, 10:48 AM
I hadn't thought of PP......

I guess you can tell I'm in the healthcare field, LOL. bacteria are a constant threat in my specialty (surgical nursing).

yeah ok let me work out how to boil 55 gallons of water!!!! ha ha ha ha

I may try it, just to ease my mind. my storage barrel gets regularly wiped down.

btw I had no idea that this subject was being discussed elsewhere, sorry :). I've been working 12 hours shifts and dealing with sick fish, so hadn't checked!

seanyuki
01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Here an article provided by Ryan about UV strerilizers..........using the proper one should benefit the fish tank.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/pages/full_width/133/Ultraviolet-Sterilizers

jimg
01-12-2012, 11:03 AM
I honestly think worrying about cleaning storage barrels other than 1x a year (maybe more if you have funky well water) is not worth the worry.
There are no parasites/ pathogens growing and multiplying in there that are going to effect the fish. Just don't let the water sit for more than 2 days is what I do, that keeps bacteria,mold and fungus counts low.
I don't think Hans climbs inside his barrels with rags or pp! if he does...I need a video!!

Cevoe
01-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Francis, do you use one?

jimg
01-12-2012, 11:13 AM
just curious, does anyone use a UV sterilizer for their water storage tank/barrel???
I'm worried about my well water (bacteria), and thought about adding this.
opinions?you can take a sample of your well water to a local lab and they will tell you.

seanyuki
01-12-2012, 11:17 AM
I have an Aqua Classic 120 watts still in the box......plan to use it in the 125 gallons tanks.

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/products/uvsterilizers/classic/120watt

Francis, do you use one?

Cevoe
01-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks, Francis for both links.
That's plenty for me to chew on for now.
Also, I am still thinking by what has been posted that it is safe to say that pathogens do grow in stored water.
As Northwoods said, it is important to clean the barrel and possibly even use PP.
As Jim says, there is growth but not enough multiplying to effect the fish.
But how do you know what that window really is?
In other words, if there is a possiblity why not cut it at the source if you can.
The cost of maintaining a UV sterilizer is a consideration but the cost of a quality discus you spend every day maintaining is more to me.

jimg
01-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks, Francis for both links.
That's plenty for me to chew on for now.
Also, I am still thinking by what has been posted that it is safe to say that pathogens do grow in stored water.
As Northwoods said, it is important to clean the barrel and possibly even use PP.
As Jim says, there is growth but not enough multiplying to effect the fish.
But how do you know what that window really is?
In other words, if there is a possiblity why not cut it at the source if you can.
The cost of maintaining a UV sterilizer is a consideration but the cost of a quality discus you spend every day maintaining is more to me.

I agree treating uv at the inlet source or barrel is not a waste. scrubbing the barrels often and pp is.
Uv in the aquarium imo and ime a waste.

If it makes the owner more comfortable and gives peace of mind....it is well worth it.

Cevoe
01-12-2012, 11:58 AM
I agree, Jim.
Now it's a matter of trying it out to see if there are any positive results or if this will be a waste of time. (UV in storage)
At this point everything is pretty much status quo with straight tap changes but this time of year always makes the water changes a little bit hairy.
With or without UV I will need to store again to stabilize things better.
Need to keep growing the leopards I bought from you last year.

shoveltrash
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I agree treating uv at the inlet source or barrel is not a waste. scrubbing the barrels often and pp is.
Uv in the aquarium imo and ime a waste.

If it makes the owner more comfortable and gives peace of mind....it is well worth it.
I agree.

I installed a whole house uv sterilizer so any water that enters my house is treated. so that is basically the same as someone putting a uv in a storage barrel. I did that due to my water comes from reservoirs and I seen by scoping what comes in.thanks for this! I ought to consider a whole-house system, just for peace of mind in regards to drinking water/cooking/etc. my "water works guy" is here today installing another filter (we have a lot of sediment from the well water), so I'll get a quote......he said <$1k. we'll see.

The cost of maintaining a UV sterilizer is a consideration but the cost of a quality discus you spend every day maintaining is more to me.agree 100%!

good discussion.........
and this made me laugh :)
I don't think Hans climbs inside his barrels with rags or pp! if he does...I need a video!!
definitely LOLOL

jimg
01-12-2012, 02:58 PM
thanks for this! I ought to consider a whole-house system, just for peace of mind in regards to drinking water/cooking/etc. my "water works guy" is here today installing another filter (we have a lot of sediment from the well water), so I'll get a quote......he said <$1k. we'll see.
I wouldn't do it for well water. unless your in a small community with septic systems all over.
I did it because my water comes from reservoirs with fish in them. chlorine is not strong enough in municipal water to kill everything.

Discus Origins
01-12-2012, 03:11 PM
If you really want to run UV in the storage barrel (can't do anything negative to the water) and don't mind the extra $$, you can buy 9W UV units that will handle up to 60 gallons for around $40. Cool little package all you gotta do it plug it in and it runs.

Cevoe
01-12-2012, 04:13 PM
I saw those 9W units for sale all over the place.
After all this talking and typing about them I went looking at the unit Francis posted and almost pooped my drawers when I saw the price.
I might be heading back into an old oil drum and a hand crank pump now.

boscobear
04-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I called that supplier, or manufacturer of UV equipment , Aqua . They told me for a 125 gallon freshwater aquarium anything more than 9 watts is not necessary. I was going to use their 15 watt unit, and they said it was not needed. Saltwater needs a higher wattage, a 120 watt unit would be used in a swimming pool, or a large pond, but not a home aquarium.

Vince C
04-13-2012, 01:07 PM
You might want to consider using ozone in lieu of UV. I picked up a unit on Ebay - search for Ozotech, occasionally they appear there. Ozotech has a good reputation that's why I went with one of there units.

Vince

shoveltrash
04-13-2012, 07:19 PM
interesting Vince.....how does it work? (sorry, I know nothing about ozone units!)

Vince C
04-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Ozone(O3) contains three oxygen atoms and is very unstable so it breaks down to O2 & O. The single oxygen atom(O) is very reactive and is a powerful oxidizing agent, is toxic and attacks the respiratory systems of animals & microorganisms. Thus it will kill bacteria, pathogens, and viruses. It has a sharp smell resembling chlorine bleach. Ozone can also remove small amounts of manganese & iron by precipitating them out of solution.

The unit itself comes with a 120V cord/plug and has two air ports: an input and output. Since contact time with storage water is important, the output ozone is usually run through 1 or 2 aerators or even a reactor(if you can afford it). I run mine through 2 airstones for 2-3 hrs into a 55 gal drum which then gets dumped into 4 other drums for further aeration and storage.

The ozone treated water only has to sit for an hour to let the ozone decay/dissipate because its so unstable.

Also, I had to use a pond air pump to overcome the barrels head pressure and the head pressure of the ozone generator since my linear air pump wouldn't pump air that deep.

Sorry for so lengthy of a response.

Vince

shoveltrash
04-16-2012, 05:03 AM
don't apologize Vince! thanks so much for the info :)
fascinating.......and *almost* over my head LOL! altho I've read that pp is an oxidizing agent too - so these would do the same things if I'm thinking correct.

ri3eboi
11-03-2020, 04:41 PM
Does anyone have experiences to share on their journey to reduce potential pathogen growth in their aging water barrel?

I just ordered a 13W submersible UV light for $13 and plan to drop it in my 55 gallon food grade barrel converted to an aging water barrel and been in use for over a year now. I never cleaned the barrel, but it is surprisingly clean, probably because the water is constantly flowing through it with my daily auto water changer.