PDA

View Full Version : water chemistry question

Glenn36
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
I have a question on filling my tank directly from my well which is currently how I do it. I do not age my water, it is directly fed from a water faucet to my tank.
My water is very stable with a pH of 7.6-7.8 and is moderately hard at around 350ppm hardness. The pH doesn`t seem to fluctuate much from tank and well water. The problem I have is the water is cold. It takes anywheres from 2-12 hours or sometimes more to refill my tank as I trickle feed the water slowly as to not shock my fish. I want to install a tankless water heater to my feed line to superheat my water to the exact tank temperature(currently 86`).

My question is will this heating process change the water chemistry and harm my fish? Will I deprive them of oxygen filling it so fast with this heated water?

I know ideally we should be aging, heating and aerating our water 24 hours before changes to alleviate any gases and also so the pH is exactly the same every time but I do daily WC`s and this is not practical enough for me. I want to simplify my WC routine to make them as simple and quick as possible.

Any comments or suggestions would be great before I waste my money on a tankless water heater. Thanks!

jimg
01-12-2012, 07:32 PM
will not harm them at all, it will be the same as filling it from tap. but it is much cheaper to get a barrel and a 250W aquarium heater and small pump this way if you need to age it it's included.
It cost me almost $1,000.00 for my tankless water heater and I installed it.

Glenn36
01-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the reply Jim. I want to avoid aging barrels if possible. My water seems as stable as you can get from tap. My biggest concern is oxygen levels from filling it too fast. Right now I fill at a rate of 10% tank volume in 2 hours and everything seems fine. I rely on the tank heaters to bring the temp back up never letting more than a 2`F swing. I found a heater that would suit my demands for less than $400. My main concern is filling too fast and any problems that may arise from a faster fill.

jimg
01-12-2012, 08:42 PM
many fill their tanks with tap with no problems. If you are concerned you can make up a aeration type device with a tube or plastic jug of some sort and fill it with bio balls then fill the water into it and let it aerate. But i would not worry at all.
I would worry more about keeping the water temp regulated from the tank less heater.
if your going with electric point of use that is a lot cheaper. I use propane so the piping cost was up there.

try ryan at Dkarc@Aol.com or http://forum.simplydiscus.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=4836 he would give you excellent advice

Glenn36
01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
The electric point of use heater I`m looking at has a digital thermostat that allows you to set the exact temperature you want.

jimg
01-12-2012, 08:56 PM
mine does too but it only goes down to 100 will yours go down to 82-84?

Glenn36
01-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Yes it goes that low. Seems like an easy way to do my WC`s. Set the heater at 85` and turn the faucet on.

jimg
01-12-2012, 09:16 PM
sounds good, let us know how it goes.