PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the dual output RO systems? Portable cheaper, why (versus 'traditional')

ericatdallas
01-16-2012, 02:39 PM
In another thread (not to be mentioned ;) ) I learned that there might be some benefit to giving my kids good filtered water. Again, not OVERLY worried about it, but if I'm going to have a RO system for my fish it wouldn't hurt to give it to my kids. Besides, my wife forces us to use Brita and bottled water anyway, so the cost increase in the RO system for dual-output is nominal.

Anyway, what are your experiences with these and anything I should lookout for or worry about or think about? Would I be better off with two systems?

I told her that the downside to me getting this is that the RO water would have to be picked up from the basement. No a big deal I'm thinking in her eyes since I can just fetch it when I'm in the fish room.

Considering we used to spend about $20 a week on bottled water, I have no problems in trying this... we moved to Brita filters a few months back but this still ends up costing about $20 a month in filter replacements and they're not even anywhere near as effective as RO filtration.

Also, I've been meaning to ask... why are 'portable systems' so much cheaper than the traditional systems? What are some of the downfalls?

Thanks,
Eric

Bud
01-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Ill be purchasing the dual version you speak of from filters direct this week.Supposedly I read its also good for adults,pure water hydrates more thoroughly,taking strain off kidneys and liver,ect.And studies found on hard water and arthritis.Plus tea,coffee, and alot of food tastes better!Comes with storage tank from ro,then di goes to your aquarium and/or storage barrel.Wouldnt hurt to try not harming anyone.Dont know about the portable(rv).

ericatdallas
01-17-2012, 12:39 AM
That's interesting about the arthritis, I hadn't seen that before. I'll have to check up on that. It makes sense with the kidneys though...

I'll probably skip the DI stage on the aquarium side.

Discus Origins
01-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Eric, if you want to discuss this further from a medical/health standpoint shoot me a pm :)

ericatdallas
01-17-2012, 02:32 AM
lol, I did a journal search on it to see what I can find. Nothing extremely alarming either way. It's primarily for my fish though... I think I'll buy the dual output system ( b/c it's not too much more to buy in a package but is a lot as a later upgrade) so that I have the option and it might make my wife feel better, but I'm sipping tea made from unfiltered tap right now as I type :)