PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus advice please

daggenham_dave
01-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi all, i've been lurking around these forums for a couple of days. Im thinking of getting some discus and im after advise. Currently have a planted tank set up. Its 4x2x2 with a large sump. It used to be a marine set up.

Been set up for about 6 months and my Ph has been consistent at 7.8. Is this too high for discus? Ive been doing weekly water changes of 15% with pure RO to gradually bring the KH down which is now at 4. I have DIY yeast CO2 going in an I am aware that due to the size of tank and the overflow to sump this wont be doing much, but i thought it was cheap and might be doing something to help the plants however little. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are reading 0.

My tap water comes out at PH 7.2 and im yet to test after running air through it. I will do this at the weekend. Does this seem ok to you guys? Chaps at the lfs where i intend to get the discus from said their ph was 7.2 and kh 4.

Any info or advise would be cool.
Dave

daggenham_dave
01-20-2012, 03:46 PM
I can post a pick when i have enough forum posts under my belt apparently.

cooksa
01-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Dave, discus will do fine in whatever tap water you have, as long as it's stable. I use straight tap treated with Prime for WCs (now that I'm no longer on well water). The only thing you really have to watch out for is the PH levels after aging. Check PH from tap, then let water sit out with aeration and check the PH every 8 hours to see if/how much it changes. When I was on well water, I'd get an 8.2 PH out of the tap. It finally stabilized at a 6-something after 24hours aging w/ aeration.

Jason K.
01-20-2012, 05:20 PM
your ph dopped from the 8's to the 6's here in se wis? courious where were you on a well?

cooksa
01-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I was on well water when in Adams County (Specifically Big Flats, WI)

Jason K.
01-20-2012, 06:13 PM
down here my well go's from 7.4 to 8.2 so yes aging is a must. And not to get off the O.P. discus can thrive in any clean stable water. if you have have p.h. swing's best age it in a holding container. I use 55 gallon barrel's with a simple airstone and a heater to get it to temp. and a submersible pump to transfer to the tank's...

daggenham_dave
01-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the info Cooksa, i'm over in the UK and hope our water is just as good! i've sent a friend request if thats the right protocol :). Do you have a tank thread? If not can you tell me about ur tank and regime? Ive read many things about discus maintenance but would like to know from a keeper. Many thanks in advance.

cooksa
01-20-2012, 08:04 PM
I am certainly not someone to look up to when it comes to discus keeping! I just have way more experience than I'd like to admit killing fish due to water instability. :o

daggenham_dave
01-21-2012, 04:11 AM
Oh dear, thanks all the same.

cooksa
01-21-2012, 11:46 AM
I realized how horrid that sounds (especially since here I am giving advice!) and maybe I should explain a bit more what issues I was having when I was using well water for water changes. As was said, the water out of the tap was a PH of 8.2. Unfortunately the GH and KH of the water was pretty low, basically meaning it was unable to keep that PH at 8.2. After 24 hours, the PH would sit at about 6 or so.

I thought I was doing good by doing large daily water changes. Except that what I really was doing was drastically changing the PH of the tank constantly, and slowly stressing out my fish eventually killing them.
Another member here explained what was probably going on, and had me watch my water as I suggested you do. Once I began aging the water I was using for changes, I had no more issues.

You'll find many people here that successfully grow/keep/breed discus in a huge variety of water parameters. As long as you can keep the water stable, any clean water will do just fine.

daggenham_dave
01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I thought that was the case. As soon as i have posted ten replys the forum lets me add photos and i'll put some images on of my set up. Im thinking of getting 6 3" discus. Ive been trying to get my ph down to 6.5 as this is what ive read in discus books etc. No matter what i did it has stayed constant at 7.8 which im thinking is a good thing. Does that amount of fish sound ok for my size tank?

daggenham_dave
01-21-2012, 02:42 PM
6 posts

daggenham_dave
01-21-2012, 02:42 PM
7 posts

daggenham_dave
01-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Nearly there".........

daggenham_dave
01-21-2012, 02:43 PM

daggenham_dave
01-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Photo?

daggenham_dave
01-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Will this work

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz21/daggenham_dave/Discus%20tank/22431041.jpg

cooksa
01-21-2012, 05:11 PM
It's a really beautiful setup! Unfortunately the consensus here is that you'll have a hell of a time growing out 3" discus in a planted tank and get maximum growth results. I'd suggest saving up and buying adults.

Also, definitely tootle around the forum! (I'm sure you have) You'll find many here use a bare bottom tank with a sponge filter. Just because it's so much easier to keep clean. A 55 gallon (200L?) would be fine to grow out 6 3" discus.

deepflyball
01-21-2012, 07:55 PM
To make you discus grow fast and stay healthy its best in a BB tank. Most feed beafheart whitch when fed moves arround the tank and can get messy. This can fowl the water and lead to problems with your discus . We use 10 gal/fish as a rule. I am a breeder and would be glad to help you with anything you might like to know. Jerry

daggenham_dave
01-22-2012, 05:57 AM
Much appreciated Jerry, and thanks for the info so far Stacey. Maybe buying adults might be better then. What size is an adult discus? 4"+ ?

Have you got a tank thread Jerry, if not can you tell me your regime for one of your tanks?