PDA

View Full Version : New on the forum and need to know of good discus dealer in my area.

Rudustin
01-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum. Just registered today! I kept discus many years ago and just renewed my interest and love for these Royal creatures. I have a sixty-five gallon tank with six small Diamonds, one Whitefaced Red, Two Reds, one white. I also have a twenty gallon long housing a fully grown Melon and a huge Red Turquoise. I have more tanks set up when the various youngsters start to pair up. They are very active and wonderful to watch, feed and enjoy. I have two questions: I live in Miami Beach, Florida, yes SoBe, and we have great water here right out of the tap. PH bounces very quickly to about 6.5 so have to watch the water changes and I only make partial ones but more often than not I simply have to add water without a water change and this works great. Is there a dealer in the area that anyone knows of that you can refer me to that has great discus. Many years ago I used to go up to Jack Wattley's in Ft. Lauderdale and pick my discus from his very tanks. I have gone to the internet and seen that Jack has an address attached to his website here in Miami Beach and Miami. Is he still breeding discus. I have been out of the hobby for so long and I just need to know if he is around or someone that deals in his discus? My second question is how often do most of you feed your discus. I feed at the moment twice a day blood worms. thanks hope to hear from someone soon.

MPETERS
01-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi,

Welcome. A lot of people here buy from the sponsors on this form with great results. I just brought some from Hans, they are beautiful and came cross country with no problems.

Mike

Parrish
01-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Contact Gabe Posada @ Wattley through their website. They are in Miami. I was just there in late November. Email him and he is quick to respond.

Support the sponsors too! Never spend all of your money in one place. Variety is the spice of life!

yim11
01-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Gabe/Wattley still has very nice fish, give him a call. You should have a few good sellers in your area IIRC.

texasdiscusman
01-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Yep talk to Gabe he will help with fish and your local water problems

Rudustin
01-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Mike, Thanks so much for such a quick response and I shall check with the various sponsors particularly Hans. thanks again. Dustin

Rudustin
01-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks so much Parrish! I did send an email yesterday that I got from the Wattley site. Haven't heard anything yet but good to know. I shall support the sponsors too!

Rudustin
01-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Thank you all for your responses. It is so good to have a response! All of you are great. Thanks again.

Mep1127
01-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Yes do stick with the sponsors here on SD. They have great discus. I brought one from kenny and its doing great in my tank. I also had two others that just died from another source, although i heard good things about that breeder 2 out of the 5 i brought from him couldnt pull through for some reason.

Rudustin
01-20-2012, 10:25 PM
good to hear that the sponsors are the people to support and I shall. Sorry to hear about the two that didn't make it. I once had a 125 gallon tank loaded with Wattley discus and a bad water change in summer( my mistake) created a major loss. I lost heart then and didn't return to Discus until very recently. It is good to be back. Good luck.

yim11
01-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Are you familiar with the Gold Coast Aquarium Society club? http://www.gcaquarium.org/ Should be close to you?

A few knowledgeable discus folks in that club, might be a great way to learn more about what others do in your area for water conditioning.

HTHs,
-jim

Rudustin
01-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks. Actually I haven't had any trouble with water now. Learned my lesson from that fateful tragedy but thanks for the info on Gold Coast Aquarium Society.

Rudustin
01-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Never heard from Gabe at Wattley discus. If anyone has a connection to Gabe please let me know. Also, I have a question. My juvenile discus after water changes and during feeding in a 65 gallon really fight! I assume this is normal. As a beginner (again) I am really enjoying the forum and all the suggestions from people far more experienced than me.