PDA

View Full Version : My Oscar tank

Ardan
01-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Here is a photo of my oscar tank. 240 gallon, 9 oscars, 2 plecos. The oscars are about 15 to 16 months old. Maybe one of these days they will start to pair up??

Ardan71584

Rummy
01-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Nice oscars. I don't know anything about their care. Is it more or less the same as for discus? The tank looks like it is set up that way.

dadecountyalan
01-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Nice oscars. I don't know anything about their care. Is it more or less the same as for discus? The tank looks like it is set up that way. they are the easiest fish to take care of

Cosgrovb
01-22-2012, 11:46 AM
There are too many in that tank. If you want a pair go down to 4 or 5. I have too many oscar fry to count.

They are nice though!

Ardan
01-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the very nice comments;)

I have a 120 gallon empty for a pair or to split them up plus some other tanks. They are easy as long as the water quality is kept in very good condition. That is why I have it barebottom, easier to clean up their mess. I don't change as much water as discus, but check the nitrates once in a while and try to keep the nitrates low so they don't get HITH. I do siphon out waste daily or every other day and replace about 10% water. Then once a week I change 75% of the water.
I originally bought 10, hoping 6 or 7 would make it to adulthood, but only lost one, so yes there are more than expected, but they get along so far. The tank is 2 feet X 2 feet X 8 feet long. I have had pairs before but never any successful spawns as they ate the eggs (not from this batch of oscars). I never pulled the eggs as they guarded them longer and longer, but then lost the pair.
I feed them pellets, freeze dried earthworm, freeze dried mealworm.

Thanks again

Cosgrovb
01-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Oscars are not like discus. First off you do not need to change the water as much as you have been. Second, once eggs are dropped pull the eggs!!!! Put in a 29 put an airstone by the eggs and a few drops of meth blue. They'll hatch and grow FAST.