PDA

View Full Version : Poret Foam Size?

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Hey guys, what size Poret foam is safe for fry but large enough to allow water to flow through?
Thanks,
Pat

Larry Bugg
01-24-2012, 11:16 AM
I forgot the sizes but I use the green for dividers and the blue and green for sumps.

seanyuki
01-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi pat......poret sponge as a filter for fry tanks......perhaps using those Azoo sponge filetrs and much cheaper lah.

http://www.aquacave.com/azoo-oxygen-sponge-filters-12.html

seanyuki
01-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Here's a link for poret foams.......many ways using their products.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%20Filter%20Foam.html

hth

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Francis, there are sizes with the Poret ie The size of pores is calculated in pores per inch (PPI) and the foam is made in pore sizes from 10-45 PPI. I think I need to target the 20 PPI which is fairly fine. Just trying to confirm which size for use in a tank as a divider but not trap fry.

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2012, 12:47 PM
I forgot the sizes but I use the green for dividers and the blue and green for sumps.

Larry, this your source for the green?

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%20Filter%20Foam%20Pricelist.html

Larry Bugg
01-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Larry, this your source for the green?

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%20Filter%20Foam%20Pricelist.html

I have some from Swiss Tropicals and some from Hans. They both charge the same price and they used to order bulk together and split it. Probably still do.

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks Larry, I have made a query to Hans but maybe be able to wait for a reply.

Larry Bugg
01-24-2012, 02:54 PM
I think I saw on another thread but what size do you need? Let me check when I get home tonight and see what I have left. I may have what you need.

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2012, 04:53 PM
I think I saw on another thread but what size do you need? Let me check when I get home tonight and see what I have left. I may have what you need.

Thanks Larry

Darrell Ward
01-24-2012, 06:20 PM
30 PPI, 4"thick is what I've been using for all kinds of things.

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2012, 07:32 PM

Oops Larry, missed the size 23.5 x 30 inches.

Thinking the same thing Darrell.

TURQ64
01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Man, you have to sell your children to afford that stuff!..I just looked at the tropicals website..way too rich for my blood...I'll stick to jury rigging...talk about criminal activity during a recession...

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Yup, pretty pricey. Could build a fish room for that :huh:

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Larry came thorough, thank Larry. Get to keep the kid :( and build the fish room :)

Jennie
01-24-2012, 11:43 PM
now wheres mine??

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2012, 11:46 PM
now wheres mine??

Foam or fishroom :)

Darrell Ward
01-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Man, you have to sell your children to afford that stuff!..I just looked at the tropicals website..way too rich for my blood...I'll stick to jury rigging...talk about criminal activity during a recession...

LOL! Yeah, it comes from Europe. Germany in fact. It's that whole Euro-Dollar exchange thing that helps make it so pricey. Still, I've found nothing that comes close to comparing to it however. Good thing is, it lasts for years underwater, so it helps to pay for itself over time. Most other products I've used will start to come apart underwater after a while.

Sasha
02-21-2012, 09:20 AM

Hi, Turq64. Do you have another material that you have used successfully for a divider in the tank for fry?

I would like to use the divider as Eddie has suggested in other posts: to divide the HOB filter and heater (on one side), with the free swimmers and parents on the other side. This way, I won't have to use sponge filters (I don't have time to build up the beneficial bacteria on new sponge filters before the eggs hatch).

Given that the divider is only needed for a week or two (and not intended for biological filtration), I'm wondering if there is other media that would suffice. What about the 2 or 3 inch foam from Joanne Fabrics or other craft stores? Does anyone know of this material would be toxic? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

TURQ64
02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
As for separating fry, I don't bother anymore in a community tank. It's not worth the trouble, time, or disruptions. anytime I'm 'fry concious', I just pull the pair and get 'em a room...As for my sumps, I'm using egg crate with a sheet of uncut blue bonded foam filter pad from F&S clipped to the eggcrate.. I have the foam for other purposes, so it's something I order regularly. If I had just one tank, I would probably use the poret, but I don't, so it's moot.

seanyuki
02-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Perhaps using Matala foam for partition.

David Rose the sponsor here sells them.

http://www.igopro-online.com/Matala-Blue-High-Density-Full-Sheet-p/matala-highf.htm