PDA

View Full Version : Ph

Darsenion
01-24-2012, 02:33 PM
I have been using a powder pH minus and I wanted to try to adjust my discus to water strait from the tap. How should i go about doing so.

Sean Buehrle
01-24-2012, 03:00 PM
What's the ph of the tank water and the ph of your water from the tap?

Going up in ph isn't as dangerous as going down but I wouldn't suggest being carefree about it.

If I were you I would raise it slowly over a few days.

Doing say a few 10 percent water changes a day for 2 days and then a couple 50s on the third day.

What you don't want to happen is having enough of that buffer in your water to drop your ph after you raise it up.

That's how I would do it, I'm sure you'll get more answers.

Darsenion
01-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Just did the tests and pH in tank is 6 and tap7.6

Darsenion
01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
i know my filter should bring that down but me(being stupid) did not know how i should properly clean my wet/dry. And plan on rising 1/4 bio balls starting today. so i do not know how or if that will effect anything.

Sean Buehrle
01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
i know my filter should bring that down but me(being stupid) did not know how i should properly clean my wet/dry. And plan on rising 1/4 bio balls starting today. so i do not know how or if that will effect anything.

What's up with your wet dry?

A lot of food stuck in the bio balls ?

Cleaning bio balls is pretty simple. I wouldn't get too crazy on them, put them in a big container like a tea jar with some water from the tank and shake them. Then rinse with tank water, don't wanna kill the bacteria.

Wash the filter housing out and reassemble.

Keep your bio balls wet and cool, they should be fine.

Sean Buehrle
01-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Just did the tests and pH in tank is 6 and tap7.6

Yep I would raise that over 3-4 days with small water changes, don't feed your fish much.

It's not super dangerous goin up but I would hate to see you be the exception to the rule.

Another thing, myself I wouldn't start all this at once, change over to tap for a few days and then clean your filter, and test for ammonia and nitrite often.

Good luck

Darsenion
01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
I have had my wet/dry running since about septmeber and all i have done was rinse the pre filter in the overflow box and change the filter pad above the bioballs i read that i should be rinsing the bio ball but i have no idea...What cleaning maintenance do you suggest.

cjr8420
01-24-2012, 04:03 PM
your bio ball should be get a constant rinse from the trickle unless they look all nasty dont mess with if they are nasty rinse like sean said .for sumps if it aint broke dont fix it.dont even need to change the filter pad over the balls just rinse it out when dirty

Darsenion
01-24-2012, 04:23 PM
what maintenance do you do(all) for your wet/dry. wipe down etc..

cjr8420
01-24-2012, 05:11 PM
my sumps have always been in a cabinet in the dark so no real build up or need for a wipe down on a regular basis just keep ur mechanical filter pad rinsed out regularythen only clean wipe down other stuff as needed if it looks dirty clean it.i might do a yearly cleaning of bio balls if even that much lol

Darsenion
01-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks everyone. Ill do 10% 2 days, 25% 2 days, then a 50% 1 day. I think that should work. Ill also keep feeding to a minimum during this time. What should i look for to see if the pH change is having a negative effect

Sean Buehrle
01-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone. Ill do 10% 2 days, 25% 2 days, then a 50% 1 day. I think that should work. Ill also keep feeding to a minimum during this time. What should i look for to see if the pH change is having a negative effect

It's probably not going to, goin up ain't a big deal.

They would look like crap, no mistaking it.