PDA

View Full Version : Discu Water PH 8.0 What should I expect?

GoggleEye
01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
I have 5 Discuss in Thailand.

where I got the fish water is 8.0

water tempreture is 32c.

No substrates or sands.

My 88 gal Aquarium cycled no additiives to cycle the tank. I do not use PH down or PH chemical adjustments.

5 Discuss no other fish,

Large Trikel Filter.

Bare Bottom

32 c

25 percent daily water change tank cleaned with every water change, Filters once per week

I was using straight R/O water 6.8PH and added a product to add missing minerals and recomended for R/O water for Discuss. Started having issues with the Discus. Would not eat and started staying in the corner of the tank. Fins laying down. Definatley under stress. I turned off the lights thinking that might help. Again this is a bear bottom empty tank nothing but 5 Discuss.

As I understand it R/O water is striped of minerals, I was buying R/O water, I would add from a Major company that the majority of you are familiar with, per directions minerals needed for healthy Discus.

After a few days the Discus started staying in the corner of the tank and would not move, would not eat, fins were laying down.

I have a 45 gal water storage with a 38 inch tall x 40 in Diameter pond filter, first layer is 12 inches of Aquarium filter floss, 5 inches of fine foam. 17 inches of BIO Balls. The water flows into the top and exits the bottom into the storage container via a power head pumping 480 GPH. Container is open at the top and the water free falls from the filter.

I filled the storage container with the untreated tap water 8.0 PH No Chlorine, un treated well water thinking the Discuss was not use to the lower PH. I understand Discuss like a low PH.

I started doing a 2 percent every other day water change using the 8.0 PH tap water. I am currently doing a 25 percent water change daily using the 8.0PH tap water, cleaning the tank daily filter once per week. I did not medically treat the fish or change there diet only the water PH.

I have seen a huge improvemt in the fish. Very Active, Great colors, dark fesis, beautiful eyes. Eating very well, eating from my fingers. Such an improvment.

No bulging eyes, they are not dwarfed, very active and acting normal again.

Have I made a very bad mistake making such a drastic PH water change?

What can I expect will happen. The water conditions are making me nervous.

Please give me some imput.

No, I do not recomend trying to raise Discuss or keeping Discuss in 8.0 PH water and please do not try it.

Thank You

Skip
01-24-2012, 03:57 PM
pH of 8.0 is fine..

discus just want CONSISTENT conditions.. i don't think you can get that, if you keep adding chemicals..

Moon
01-24-2012, 04:21 PM
pH of 8.0 is fine..

discus just want CONSISTENT conditions.. i don't think you can get that, if you keep adding chemicals..

+1

Bud
01-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Raised mine from juvies to adults in 8.3ph!I here the high ph is great for juvies now I believe it.Still learning.

GoggleEye
01-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Warlock, Moon & Bud,

Bud I am supprised at the PH 8.3. as as warlock & Moon mentioned consistancy in the water and lots of fresh water and a healthy diet is the best.

By the way I took some cat litter and put the PH buffers and minerals in it, mixed it up and thru it in the trash today.

I finaly got it after doing a lot of research and asking questions the water consistany is more important than the PH levels. This is why I weaned the fish off of R/O water, PH buffers, adding minerals and so on. In my mind it did not seem the correct thing to do. The fish were getting stressed.

Thank you.

Healthy Discuss Happy Discuss
Maybe in the future I will try to breeding them

Thank you very much.

Skip
01-24-2012, 10:00 PM
google.. really the time you may need R/O is when breeding.. just until eggs hatch.. then back to regular tap..

water quality is cause of most discus problems and cure for most discus problems..