PDA

View Full Version : RAYS?!?!

MOdiscus
01-26-2012, 01:30 AM
I've seen rays in a couple of discus tank vids- what do they need, what concerns do they raise? More info, PLEASE!

lipadj46
01-26-2012, 07:20 AM
rays need large tanks with a good sized footprint (min 6x2ft). the smallest rays grow to 14" across but they are hard to care for. the easier to care for rays get significantly larger. all rays produce a large amount of waste another reason they require at least 180g and more like 250g. also never buy a teacup ray.

sent from my ti-85 during chemistry class

zimmjeff
01-26-2012, 07:28 AM
why not the teacup ray? just curious.

TURQ64
01-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Short version; they aren't THAT hard to keep. my observed input is that they will impact your bioload per 'ray as much as a complete Discus stocking of a given tank. I would suggest only adult Discus, as they will bump the fish out of the food pecking order..And foods are spendy; CBW's, nightcrawlers,etc...I've had Discus kill a 'ray, and vice versa...not the average person's 'community tank',,,Gary

ZX10R
01-26-2012, 08:49 AM
rays need large tanks with a good sized footprint (min 6x2ft). the smallest rays grow to 14" across but they are hard to care for. the easier to care for rays get significantly larger. all rays produce a large amount of waste another reason they require at least 180g and more like 250g. also never buy a teacup ray.

Everything about this statement is false in fact rays are much easier to care for then discus IMO.

Chicago Discus
01-26-2012, 09:56 AM
TNT777 keeps rays with discus her name is tara you should send her a PM.............Josie

lipadj46
01-26-2012, 11:46 AM

usually the teacup rays sold get huge and really should be in salt water, when kept in freshwater they produce huge amounts of ammonia to compensate.

Everything about this statement is false in fact rays are much easier to care for then discus IMO.

I never said they were I said they need a large tank as they generally get 20" across and that the smallest species from the amazon (that could fit in a smaller tank) are the most difficult to keep

TNT77
01-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Cause most rays that are sold as teacups are just any caught baby ray that can/might quite large. lipadj46 I have never heard of them needing saltwater..not a true statement. If you are referring to the Florida stingray which is a smaller brackish water ray then yes but this ray is very recognizable in its diamond shape. The teacup ray is actually a store name for the reticulated ray which is a freshwater ray. And ime dont start with a retic LOL. They are hell to get eating and even when they do are picky eaters. Start with a hystrix. A smaller ray which the females max at about 12"-14" and the males a bit smaller. But even these rays still need a large tank as adults. And yes Gary is right about tankmates. A discus can kill a ray easy.

lipadj46
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
yes i was talking about small florida rays specifically but ive seen any small ray sold as tea cup rays. the actual teacup rays the reticulated are pretty darn hard to keep and they still get 14" across which is still quite big for a bottom dweller

TNT77
01-26-2012, 05:59 PM
yes i was talking about small florida rays specifically but ive seen any small ray sold as tea cup rays. the actual teacup rays the reticulated are pretty darn hard to keep and they still get 14" across which is still quite big for a bottom dweller

I wouldnt say retics are hard to keep other than their eating habits..they are easier to maintain than discus ime. If you can get one that is in good shape. And yes the females can max at 14" but most do not. I have a 2 yr old retic male that is only 8 1/2". Most rays are pretty slow growers...and take years to mature. And many more years to reach max growth. The easiest way to know its a retic is to look at the tail. Retics have longer tails than most rays except the whiptails. If you see a short tail dont buy it. But that being said my male has a short tail from a shipping injury. He had the tail when I got him but it was broke from shipping and fell off not long after. But I wouldnt recommend a retic for a starter ray. The hystrix is a much less picky eater and is hardy. But you do have to make sure you get a brazillian hystrix and not a ray from peru that looks like a hystrix. The brazillian hystrix maxs at 14" and the peru "fake hystrix" maxs at 38" I believe.

lipadj46
01-26-2012, 06:13 PM
yeah its the motoros in 75-125g tanks that make me scratch my head. they get hella big

ZX10R
01-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Most rays will get big but like Tara said they will take years and years to reach those sizes. Most people buy 4"-6" rays and you can keep those in a 90 gallon tank for several years before moving them up. I kept both my hystix rays in a 92 gallon for 2 years before moving them to a 120. And in those two years they grew about 3"-4".

MOdiscus
01-27-2012, 01:14 AM
They just looked so cool, I HAD to ask. Then again, if they were easy to keep, everyone would, right?

TNT77
01-27-2012, 01:17 AM
They just looked so cool, I HAD to ask. Then again, if they were easy to keep, everyone would, right?
Its not really the ease of keeping its the tank space that limits alot of people. They do need large tanks as they get bigger.

2075turner
01-27-2012, 06:15 PM
I would love to get some rays but it was the tank size that holds me up on getting some. Biggest tank I have length wise is a 130 that measures 72" by 18" of which I understand is too small:(

lipadj46
01-27-2012, 06:48 PM
I would love to get some rays but it was the tank size that holds me up on getting some. Biggest tank I have length wise is a 130 that measures 72" by 18" of which I understand is too small:(

like mentioned above the reticulated are the smallest and would work if you made it a dedicated tank but they are known to be difficult to get eating

TNT77
01-27-2012, 07:01 PM
The length is nice but the width would be a worry for an adult. You could house a retic, hystrix, or scobina in that tank for at least 3 years or more with no issues if you start small. My personal choice would be the hystrix or scobina of the three though. All stay around the same size as adults. I believe the hystrix grow a bit faster of the three if I remember correctly. But you should still have a long time before having to upgrade.

2075turner
01-27-2012, 08:37 PM
In the 72" by 18", how many small rays can be kept in there for say 2-3 years? and when would I know to move them?

TNT77
01-27-2012, 08:59 PM
In the 72" by 18", how many small rays can be kept in there for say 2-3 years? and when would I know to move them?
Depends on what you also have in the tank with them. Perhaps 2-3. One male and 1-2 females. I have seen more stocked in a tank that size. But..you really only want to get what you want to keep unless you plan on selling some. And that isnt always easy. You want them able to comfortably turn around and swim. So tank width is very important. You should be able to easily keep them in there till around 8" perhaps 9" disk width.

TURQ64
01-27-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm currently housing my three Hystrix in an 18 wide tank..They're plenty mobile, and are doing fine there....I did have them in a 24 wide, but it had to revamp for growouts..

2075turner
01-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Just wondering what the thoughts are on a 48"L by 24" D for small ones? I have a 150 with that size footprint. It currently houses 10 adults 6" discus, but can be lowered to accommodate them.

TNT77
01-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Just wondering what the thoughts are on a 48"L by 24" D for small ones? I have a 150 with that size footprint. It currently houses 10 adults 6" discus, but can be lowered to accommodate them.
With that footprint I would only go with a pair.

2075turner
01-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Yeah, if only I had the 6 ft tank with the 24" deep, lol.

Missing the mark on both tanks:p

TNT77
01-28-2012, 12:51 AM
Yeah, if only I had the 6 ft tank with the 24" deep, lol.

Missing the mark on both tanks:p
It really depends on whether or not you are going to upgrade. You could keep 4-5 small rays in either footprint. But it also forces you to upgrade to a rather large tank or sell some. And they can be hard to sell..they are easy to get attached to.

I found a 7' x 24" x 24" tank and stand for a deal. So its not impossible to upgrade.

2075turner
01-28-2012, 10:44 AM
I was planning to upgrade in 2 years when we move but my intentions were only to get 2.

TURQ64
01-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Well, I wouldn't worry too much then, as long as you are considering smaller 'ray's...I've had them in a good deal of different footprints, and they are just fine...Some of the best ray keeper's I have met don't even use 'aquariums', just boxes lined in plastic, like Hudson and Vitor's catching operations...they aren't a very finicky animal, given the conditions..

2075turner
01-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Hummm, something to definitely think about. I have 4 of the 72 by 18" guys that I can put a couple of them into. I had always thought you had to have them in a much larger tank even from the get go.

Thanks for the info everyone.

jermajestyg
07-30-2012, 11:02 PM
I know im trying to raise a dead thread haha but bear with me please. I just didnt really wanna make a new thread.

Would it be possible to raise a juvie retic for about 2 years in a 40b with a 36" x 18" footprint? I know thats pushing it on minimum size, but after those 2 years, he would either be sold or moved to a much larger tank...at least 400 gallons. I know that they are the smallest rays, and although may be picky eaters, i will observe it closely to make sure it is eating.

Thanks,

-Jeremy