PDA

View Full Version : how are these water #s ?

Bud
01-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Alright my old aged tap water #s are;8.0 ph...17 gh...10...kh..tds...300 ppm.Mixed with 50% ro,and aged tap they are;7.4 ph....7 gh....4kh....tds...90 ppm.Should I leave it?Id like to get tds and gh a little lower but that sacrifices my kh to below a recommended stabile point.Any thoughts or advice?

TURQ64
01-29-2012, 01:27 PM
There's an old rigger's and operating engineers phase that works here..lever 'A', or leave 'er be....

PAR23
01-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Alright my old aged tap water #s are;8.0 ph...17 gh...10...kh..tds...300 ppm.Mixed with 50% ro,and aged tap they are;7.4 ph....7 gh....4kh....tds...90 ppm.Should I leave it?Id like to get tds and gh a little lower but that sacrifices my kh to below a recommended stabile point.Any thoughts or advice?

Just curious why you are manipulating your water parameters?

Bud
01-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Well first off,everyones doing it(ha joke).Tired of scaping "salt" off of everything(that gh is pretty high according to my books,taking it to that level would still be considered slightly hard still) and trying to create a friendlier enviroment for breedingAlso hard water interferes with medication uptake.I could go on but at this point its all excuses.I also sent back a culligan ro system(charged me 998$)to buy my own unit for fraction of the cost,it was so cheap I figured "save some for the fish".And really if I just left everything in life "b",Id be safe,but extremely sad(bored),....and uneducated. ;)

shoveltrash
01-30-2012, 07:25 AM
LOL Bud
all the researching I've done leads me to understand that you probably don't want your TDS any lower than what you have with the 50/50 mix.
were I you, I'd keep it simple. you could add/substract/mix for the *perfect* params, but IMHO your fish'll be fine with either the 50/50 or straight tap.
I've gone 100% RO, adding RO Right & will probably dose with some Kents Discus Essentials minerals. but I seriously doubt your water is as crappy as mine!!!!!
(btw my Angelfish are thanking me for switching to RO - they've turned back into food-begging hams again :) )

Skip
01-30-2012, 07:58 AM
is this for display tank?

why mess with it?!

if you want to breed.. do this in the 29g or what ever your breeding pair are in.. not your entire system.. discus want CONSISTENT water conditions... that is priority..

PAR23
01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
discus want CONSISTENT water conditions... that is priority..

+ 1. Less is more here.

Bud
01-30-2012, 12:10 PM
I just really think theyll benefit from a little less of a very hard water situation(from what I read in my books,they definately will).I may not even go 50/50,but really want to knock out some of that gh(17 is really hard)They are in a 75 gal growout now but soon in a display and there i wont be w/c 100% everyday.And with 2 float valves on my 90 gal storage barrel(one level for ro other for tap)consistency shouldnt be a prob,Ill be watching produced water #s.I seem to have a problem with the "dont do it "advice(which is GREAT advice btw)sooooo...it will be alright,or Ill admit to the good advice.And thanx for the warning...;)

damba
01-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Stability is best. If you are not breeding and have no wild fish leave it be. Playing with water params can be a disaster.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

Skip
01-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Damba.. BUD is set on doing it his way...

I seem to have a problem with the "dont do it "advice(which is GREAT advice btw)sooooo...it will be alright,or Ill admit to the good advice.And thanx for the warning...;)

you did as for input... it was not what you were looking for.. no worries.. its your tank.. keep us updated on your progress bud.. :)

Bud
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Yes sir,will do!I do have 9 sub-adults in 1 75 gal right now,and no signs of breeding(also read very hard water can be a cause).i just read all the negative effects of very hard water on ALL fish....OH and thanks Trish!