PDA

View Full Version : Wild or domestic bred

Davejcollins
01-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi guys,

First time posting here (from Ireland !)

Basically, I am currently moving my 4ft community (clown loach) setup to a 6ft 125 gallon which is currently cycling. That leaves me with my 4ft which I am going to use to keep Discus. The 4ft tank is a bowfront 260 litre which converts to approx 67 gallons. It measures 48 x 18 (max at front) x 24.

My dilemma is whether to keep wild of tAnk bred (Stendker). My preference would be wild but I am thinking I should go with tank bred until such a time as I upgrade the 4ft to another 6ft tank. Probably won't get permission to do that from the OH for another 12 months - 2 new tanks in 6 months is probably enough :)

I plan on keeping 6 discus and 6 cory (sterbai). As I said, my preference would be wild but is my tank suitable? Is there any logic in me thinking that the tank is more suitable to domestic than wild? Regardless of what I decide, I plan on making the tank as natural as possible to the discus environment - twisted roots, blackwater, soft, acidic

Any thoughts, tips, advice?

cjr8420
01-29-2012, 08:37 PM
get the best of both stendker tefe's and/or alenquer's and/or Santarem's get the wild look with the proven quality of a stendker.but b4 u buy anything just be ready and informed for what ur geting into best place to start is the beginners sticky section.gl

Davejcollins
01-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey mike - Exactly what I am planning if I go domestic :) they are the closest thing to wild alright - I have read extensively about discus so I think I have a good idea of what is ahead of me :)

This dilemma is the only (serious) issue I have left to work out.

Thanks for the advice

Darrell Ward
01-29-2012, 09:26 PM
It really doesn't matter. Wild or domestic, it's the same basic care. Get what you really like, and have fun.

Davejcollins
01-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Tank size is my issue - domestic = used to small spaces, wild = used to amazon. Heart says wilds, head says domestic :) but my decision I suppose.

I suppose I am most interested in people's opinion of my tank size

Second Hand Pat
01-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Dave, are you in love with the loaches?

Davejcollins
01-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Dave, are you in love with the loaches?

Ha ha - I think I can see where this is going - love is a bit strong but they are here to stay and I think they deserve the 6ft tank ( to be honest they were my main reason for getting it). If I get truly bitten by the discus bug, and if I found a very good home for the loaches, I would be tempted. But that would be 6 - 12 months down the road at which time I would probably be upgrading my again anyway

Second Hand Pat
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Yup, you are right :). I'm with Darrell, go where your heart takes you. I started with wilds a year ago and never looked back.
Pat

Darrell Ward
01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
It's true that wild discus love bigger tanks, but then that's true with all discus as they mature and get large. Either will show more natural behavior in larger tanks at an adult size. That said, a group of 6 can certainly be housed in a 75 gal no matter the orgin. Even better, a group of smaller fish can grown out, and placed in a larger tank later.

JamesP
01-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Dave,

I raise both wilds and wild/domestic crosses and the tank will be fine for either. I breed Tefe's and a Heckel with a Penang Eruption both pairs in 65 gallon breeders. Like others have said go with what you rally like and enjoy them.

Jim

CajunAg
01-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Hi Dave, welcome to Simply!

I agree with mike up there that another option you could go with is domesticated fish that have some wild heritage. I am/was in the same position as you, with the tank size and even tank mates. I really wanted wilds, but giving them soft water here in SE TX is, for a lack of a better word, hard. So, when Kenny received his Curipera X's from Forrest I jumped on them. Now I have the wild look but the domesticated hardiness. Right now Kenny has some tank bred Heckels, go check them out!