PDA

View Full Version : rays with african cichlids??

Samsmobb
01-29-2012, 10:19 PM
So ive got a 250 gal tank, so far its been cycled and now I'm beggining to stock it. Plannong on african cichlids that's a given, however I want to know if adding a ray (motoro- not actually sure if this the one yet ) about 4-5 diameter I believe, would fit into the mix? So far ima start with small Africans assorted ranging from 2-4 inches adding them slowly over a course of many weeks. It has a sand substrate to thr bottom and a lot of free space for the ray. I just want to know if hell get along fine in the tank with those tank mates. Thanks you all for your input

TNT77
01-29-2012, 10:22 PM
So ive got a 250 gal tank, so far its been cycled and now I'm beggining to stock it. Plannong on african cichlids that's a given, however I want to know if adding a ray (motoro- not actually sure if this the one yet ) about 4-5 diameter I believe, would fit into the mix? So far ima start with small Africans assorted ranging from 2-4 inches adding them slowly over a course of many weeks. It has a sand substrate to thr bottom and a lot of free space for the ray. I just want to know if hell get along fine in the tank with those tank mates. Thanks you all for your input
No

Chicago Discus
01-29-2012, 10:31 PM
well there ya go thats the ray expert

Samsmobb
01-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Any particular reason why? Ph 7.2-7.4 BTW

JenTN
01-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Pretty much the only thing that I would trust with Africans is more Africans! Mean little suckers!

Chicago Discus
01-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Pretty much the only thing that I would trust with Africans is more Africans! Mean little suckers!

thats right I agree but I do have two plecos in there LOL

Samsmobb
01-30-2012, 12:05 AM
TNT, any particular reason why you say no? I'd really like to understand their nature a bit more

TNT77
01-30-2012, 12:59 AM
TNT, any particular reason why you say no? I'd really like to understand their nature a bit more
Its not the rays nature its the africans nature. Africans are territorial and especially when they get older extremely agressive. Unless in large groups. Rays produce alot of waste. To stock an african tank takes most of your boiload capabilities. Add a ray and you will have water quality issues. They require pristine water conditions just like discus. Africans+rays=impending disaster for the ray.

TNT77
01-30-2012, 01:00 AM
+1 simple and directly on the nail head.

Samsmobb
01-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the write up!
I appreciate it and I'll follow your advice

cjr8420
01-30-2012, 02:11 AM
most the africans are herbivores they will eat any meat/protein feed to the ray and get bloat and die to so another no

TURQ64
01-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Too hard of water for 'rays to thrive. And the Africans would for sure kill the 'rays by picking on them..Maybe at night, the 'rays could eat a few for revenge, but it's a bad idea...And IMO, Jeff Rapps and Shaun Langerud (Snakeskin) are 'Ray experts', not any of us here..

Samsmobb
01-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks I was mainly worried about compatibility issues as the water would be straight out of tap same as it would be for discus hard or not. But I guess I found my answer if they'll pick on each other :(

ZX10R
01-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Your PH is fine for keeping rays but like everyone else said the cichlids might be to aggresive towards the ray depending on how big the rays is. My discus never bothered my larger Hystrix ray but when I bought a smaller 4" Hystrix when he would hide in the sand with only his eyes sticking up my discus would peck at his eyes. I could only imagine what the more aggresive cichlids would do to a small ray.