PDA

View Full Version : build threads/tank journals?

fullmonti
01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
I am changing my 180 over from a reef tank to planted Discus tank. Been reading about Discus here for a little while now. The saltwater forums are big into build threads & tank journals. I haven't seen hardly any of this here. Is there a place where these threads are & I just haven't found them or is this not done much in the Discus committee?

Thanks
Jim

brewmaster15
01-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Jim,
Its not done too much here, but where it is often scattered in our planted tank section, the Amazon and DIY.
If you would like to start a thread on your change over with details and pics I'd be happy to sticky it for you and as a forum resource... Let me know.
Thanks,
al

pcsb23
01-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Hello Jim,

We do have a number of tank build threads, often these are to be found in the Planted/Show tanks forum >>here<< (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?37-Planted-Show-Tanks-and-Biotopes)

Discus tanks tend to be a lot less complex than reef systems so many of the build type threads tend to be of fish rooms etc ... these can be found in the Fish room forums >>here<< (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Fish-Room-Projects)

fullmonti
01-31-2012, 12:09 PM
BM15 I do plan to post a build thread, guess the planted/show tank would be best place, since it will be a display not breeding or grow out type tank. I have seen a few here, just less than I thought there might be. My tank is all clean up & plumbing, lighting, filtration all redone. Then my wife lost her job, so on hold right now. Guess I could go ahead & start it, I have a fish room for the QT, filtration, WC etc. plus driftwood, rocks, & sand. Just need to take a few more photos of new plumbing, sump & fish room. Will do pix today or tomorrow.

Watch for it & Thanks
Jim

brewmaster15
01-31-2012, 12:22 PM
BM15 I do plan to post a build thread, guess the planted/show tank would be best place, since it will be a display not breeding or grow out type tank. I have seen a few here, just less than I thought there might be. My tank is all clean up & plumbing, lighting, filtration all redone. Then my wife lost her job, so on hold right now. Guess I could go ahead & start it, I have a fish room for the QT, filtration, WC etc. plus driftwood, rocks, & sand. Just need to take a few more photos of new plumbing, sump & fish room. Will do pix today or tomorrow.

Watch for it & Thanks
Jim
Great!

Discus-n00b
01-31-2012, 02:04 PM
I think the biggest reason for lack of build threads is bare tanks are close to a discus keepers hearts. If you aren't going for a major, fully planted tank or a wild biotype....a build thread really is just an afterthought.

Here is my build thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?82273-The-WILD-side!-100gal-build-thread-%2856k-Warning%29 Should be evolving even more in the next few months. As the weather gets better it kicks me into gear and I have some plans.

Second Hand Pat
01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Jim, you could become a homesteader and have your own section of the forum. Rent is $50 a year and larger PM quota. Supports the forum too. :)
Pat

fullmonti
01-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Discus-n00b
Your right, a BB tank with a small light & a sponge filter doesn't make for a good build thread. looks like you have a good build thread, I'll read all of it a little later.

Pat I hadn't noticed the homesteader forum before, will have to check it out. Maybe when I actually have some Discus & the wife has another job? Where are you from in central Florida. I lived in Daytona Beach log ago.

fullmonti
02-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I started my build thread, it's in the planted/show forum if you'd like to take a look. I have really enjoyed SD site, seems a very good group!

Thanks
Jim

pcsb23
02-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I started my build thread, it's in the planted/show forum if you'd like to take a look. I have really enjoyed SD site, seems a very good group!

Thanks
JimAlready seen it Jim, looks great :)

Second Hand Pat
02-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Discus-n00b
Your right, a BB tank with a small light & a sponge filter doesn't make for a good build thread. looks like you have a good build thread, I'll read all of it a little later.

Pat I hadn't noticed the homesteader forum before, will have to check it out. Maybe when I actually have some Discus & the wife has another job? Where are you from in central Florida. I lived in Daytona Beach log ago.

Hi Jim, I currently reside in Orlando and grew up in Melbourne. My daughter went to college in Daytona :)

boxhead1990
02-04-2012, 06:34 AM
no offence but this site needs a section for just build threads and i think it would be of good benifit to many members i no i like having a build thread so i can have a definate date on when i have added something and also its handy to pay attention to how the tank has developed over a period of time

oh and its not just an american thing aussie reefers do it to on reefing the australian way (boxhead1990 on there as well)

Sent from my iPhone

fullmonti
02-04-2012, 11:23 AM
I had ask in the feedback forum if there was a place for build threads. They said many who wanted to post one did so here. Because so many Discus tanks are such simple setups there seems to be much less reason to do build threads. Maybe there could be a sticky in the planted & show tank forum for build/journal threads? Until then guess they will just be in with all the other subjects.

Jim

boxhead1990
02-05-2012, 12:15 AM
yeah i would like it if there was a section for it keeping those sections uncluttered for questions ect we can only dream

Sent from my iPhone