PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose pleco sex affected by water temp?

aznvi3t916
02-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I know that reptiles sex are determined by the incubation temperatures while the embryos are developing in the egg, but does anybody know if this is also true for catfish?

I ask this because I breed albino bristlenose pleco and predominantly all of my fries are female or do not develope their bristle, but the dad has a wicked set of bristle on his head. The fries are at about 1.5-in long and still no bristle development, but I saw some at lfs about the same size and they already have little bumps developing along the lip.

On another thought, I have a couple baby albino cory cat that also do not develop their 2 lower whiskers eventhought their parent has whiskers like typical cory cat. Very weird.

I'm keeping them in straight regular Sacramento, CA, tap water at about 80F. I know that our water is on the hard side, but I've never heard of water condition affecting the whisker development before.

Very weird.:confused:

JenTN
02-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I have not heard of this, maybe the fry are still not old enough? I believe even females develope some small bristles. I have a young bn at about 1.5 in with no bristles yet.

Altum Nut
02-03-2012, 11:32 AM
I have not heard of this, maybe the fry are still not old enough? I believe even females develope some small bristles. I have a young bn at about 1.5 in with no bristles yet.

I agree with Jen.
Fry are still way to young to sex and really hard to believe water temps will determine offsping sex.

...Ralph

cjr8420
02-03-2012, 02:38 PM
i dont about bristlenose but with apisto cacatuoides ph and temperature affect the sex of the offspring, temperature more so not opinion fact.hth

cyril
02-04-2012, 03:10 AM
The bristles don't normal come out on mine until they are about two and a half inches to three inches or when they are several months old