PDA

View Full Version : Direction for Seachem Safe

gabloo
02-03-2012, 05:30 PM
I have read so many thing about using Seachem Safe and wondering if i m getting is right. I am about to switch from prim to safe and i just got my bucket. From what i read, correct dosage is 1/4 tsp per 50 or 55 g correct? What kind of tsp are they referring to? I bought measuring spoons from walmart . Will those work?

Orange Crush
02-03-2012, 05:42 PM
When manufacturers refer to a teaspoon or tablespoon they are refering to measuring spoons that cooks use since it is a standardized unit. The kind of teaspoon you eat with varies from one manufacture to the next so never use those when trying to be precise about a quantity of something.

Altum Nut
02-03-2012, 11:50 PM
+1 agree with you Holly.
I just took one of my wife's baking measuring spoons. 1/4 tsp per 50g

...Ralph

Keith Perkins
02-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Yes, your measuring spoons from Walmart will work just fine.

aalbina
02-06-2012, 07:32 PM
I have read so many thing about using Seachem Safe and wondering if i m getting is right. I am about to switch from prim to safe and i just got my bucket. From what i read, correct dosage is 1/4 tsp per 50 or 55 g correct? What kind of tsp are they referring to? I bought measuring spoons from walmart . Will those work?

I measured this out before using my gram scale and the directions on the bottle in this thread:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ht=#post765193

Although the two measurements are different (weight vs volume) it turns out that 1 teaspoon measure for the kitchen on a 55g tank is perfect. The bottle actually says dose lower for warmer water but I ignore that...

Adam

Sean Buehrle
02-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I measured this out before using my gram scale and the directions on the bottle in this thread:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ht=#post765193

Although the two measurements are different (weight vs volume) it turns out that 1 teaspoon measure for the kitchen on a 55g tank is perfect. The bottle actually says dose lower for warmer water but I ignore that...

Adamthats like 4 times what you need depending on your chloramine level.

aalbina
02-06-2012, 10:58 PM
thats like 4 times what you need depending on your chloramine level.

Actually - it's exactly four times what you need. In the thread I posted it weighed out to be 1/4 teaspoon of safe. I didn't read the thread carefully enough - thanks for catching that! I hope the OP reads the original thread I posted. Here's the link

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?85970-Seachem-SAFE-measurement-question-%29&p=765193&highlight=#post765193

Thanks Sean.

And in case the link doesn't work:

...according to my AWS-100, calibrated digital gram scale:

1/2 teaspoon of sachem safe weighs 2.65g or 2650mg

The bottle says 5 grams of safe treats 750 liters or 198.13 gallons

2.5g treats 99 gallons

So let's go with 25mg per gallon.

For 55 gallons: 55x25=1375mg

1/4 teaspoon weighs 1325mg so I go with 1/4 teaspoon for 55 gallons. Just like Eddie and Bill said....

Adam

Sean Buehrle
02-06-2012, 11:29 PM
No problem.

You do know that the directions are for only 1 ppm of chloramines too.

So if you have 2 ppm it is suggested you use double dose.

It's really important to know what your water company is doing to the water.

Discusgeo2
02-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Like Sean say's you have to know what is in your water before you start adding this to your storage tank. Call your water company to find out how much Chlorine and Chloramines are in your water to add the correct amount. Sounds like most of you are taking the shotgun approach and just adding it to your water an hoping you will be OK.

Directions

Directions for 10 g and 50 g

To remove…
Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 130 L (35 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm)..
Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 100 L (25 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).
Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 32 L (8 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!

For reference, 1 measure = 100 mg. To detoxify nitrite/nitrate in an emergency situation use up to 5 measures to each 40 L (10 gallons). Use fish to gauge toxicity reduction as test kits will still show presence of nitrite/nitrate even when detoxified. May be added to aquarium directly, but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. If temperature is > 30 C (86 F) cut dosing in half.

Directions for 250 g and larger

To remove…
Chlorine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1625 L (450 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).
Chloramine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1250 L (300 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).
Ammonia: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 400 L (100 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm). Do not overdose!

To detoxify nitrite/nitrate in an emergency situation use up to 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 400 L (100 gallons*). Use fish to gauge toxicity reduction as test kits will still show presence of nitrite/nitrate even when detoxified. May be added to aquarium directly, but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. If temperature is > 30 C (86 F) cut dosing in half.

aalbina
02-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Uh.. I guess you didn't read my post or you're not including me in the "most" definition. Thanks for reporting exactly what's on the Seachem website - probably would be good to reference that source. I am on well water - I have my water tested by a local ChemServe testing company. I follow the directions on the bottle, for my water - and actually called SeaChem to ask if their product would bind heavy metals - to which they replied yes but there wasn't room on the safe label to state it like they do on the Prime bottle. Sorry for getting a little aggravated but folks who make blanket statements with no knowledge of the people to whom they are making them - well... aggravate me.

Adam