PDA

View Full Version : Water movement

Rubberducky
02-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm concerned that I'm not getting enough water movement throughout my tank. The tank measures 60''Lx18''Wx26''H. I have a single overflow with a 30 gallon sump. It has a Quiet One 4000 pump on it. What are your thoughts?

Dan

MPETERS
02-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi,

I am not an expert but I will try to help. How much "head" pressure do you have. Head pressure is determined by how high the pump has to pump also the number of fittings in the return line and the type of spray bar if any. What size pipe do you run from the overflow into the sump? I guess the most important is to deside how much water the pump is really pumping back into the tank. I try to keep the turnover at about 10 times the volume of the tank. Try not to have a lot of strong current as discus don't like it.

Mike

Rubberducky
02-06-2012, 02:08 AM
I estimate that my pump should be pumping between 650 GPH-700 GPH taking into consideration the "head pressure". The line from the overflow to the sump is 2''. Should I add an air stone to help keep the water circulating? My main concern is that the water at the bottom of my tank might not be filtering. Maybe I'm just over thinking the whole process.

nikond70s
02-06-2012, 02:15 AM
if you feel like you dont have enough flow you can add another filter..canister...hob etc. or you can add a powerhead.

pcsb23
02-06-2012, 08:03 AM
.... Maybe I'm just over thinking the whole process.Probably :)

For discus (without plants etc) then 3 to 4 times tank volume turnover is fine.