PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an airstone?

JenTN
02-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Sorry for all the questions. I searched and read the stickies & couldnt find anything. I've never used an airstone, but now that I've removed the plants, should I add one for oxygen?

Second Hand Pat
02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Jen, what's is your filtration? Are your fish acting ok, breathing and swimming normal? You can just add an airstone until you decide whether it is needed or not.

JenTN
02-05-2012, 10:35 PM
I have a 55 gallon, have a tetra whisper ex 70. I know not the greatest but I have a tight space betwn the back of the tank & the wall & its slim. The fish seem to be acting normal, my rams seem to be swimming up farther than they ever have but it may be competing for food & lack of aggressive angelfish. Nobodys gasping at the surface. I do have one alenquer thats been hanging in a corner not eating so much, but I dont think its oxygen, i think its a pecking order issue. Could be wrong tho. I keep worrying that I'm gonna screw this up!

Sean Buehrle
02-05-2012, 10:37 PM
I have an airstone in every tank.

More oxygen the better, not only for the fish, the bio filter too.

Second Hand Pat
02-05-2012, 10:38 PM
How is their breathing rate?

JenTN
02-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Their breathing rate looks good. They have been swimming a LOT today, all in a group (sans alenquer at times). I do get quite a bit of surface movement from my filter..keep it clean and do 75-90% wc daily, change filter sponges weekly or bi weekly.

Second Hand Pat
02-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Things sound ok. You can keep at eye on things or just add one if you are not sure.

JenTN
02-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks. I am concerned about the alenquer. Though it did start about the time I ran out of fdbw. But I.dont think that would bring on a hunger strike. Sending out my order tomorrow so well see.

Second Hand Pat
02-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Jen, is the alenquer only eating FDBWs? If yes, FDBWs can be like candy and a little tuff love is needed to get them to eat other foods. Since he is hanging in the corner perhaps a closer look is warrented. You could filll out the disease form and post it in the disease section just to get some other opinions.

PleiadesSTi
02-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Air stones/air pumps are so cheap why not. Warm water= less oxygenation availability for your fish.

JenTN
02-06-2012, 08:45 AM
I cannot see anything wrong. Problem is it likes to be hand fed and I think bloodworms irritate me so I cant do that. If I try to hand feed flake, it gets bullied by the pb.

JenTN
02-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Ok I was prepared to cal Hans today, as he was worse last night...upped the temp to 86 & he was out swimming & feeding late last night and today! So still gonna watch...Im very tired tho myself lol.