PDA

View Full Version : Algae Control

Vince-Lenny
02-07-2012, 02:30 AM
Has anybody used Algae Control (made by Tetra) with any success?

Has anybody heard of any negative side effects to discus?

Despite daily 33% water changes, greenish and brown algae is growing all over the tank. Please help.

Orange Crush
02-07-2012, 03:34 AM
It will kill any inverts like shrimp and snails too.
I do not know if it works or not but it will not solve what is causing you tank to have algae in the first place so you will have to use it constantly to fight the algae. It would be better to find out why you have the algae and correct for that.

Greenheinie
02-07-2012, 05:48 PM
How big is your tank? How many watts of light are you blasting in?

My guess is too much light and you'll be battling algae for an eternity (algae will win). Buy a roll of screen mesh (like on screen doors) at home depot, cut out a sheet or two, and put it over your tank to block out some light. Or take a bulb out of your fixture if possible.

Or if it's a planted tank, time to buy a CO2 tank and minerals to help keep algae in check.

Vince-Lenny
02-08-2012, 02:41 PM
I have a 75-gallon bare-bottomed tank with one large piece of driftwood. There are only 8 medium-sized discus and no other fish or inverts. The tank does not get direct sunlight (only indirect sunlight). I use a 48-inch Marineland double-bright LEDs that stay on for only 4 hours each day.

I just can't figure out the source or cause of algae growth.

judy
02-08-2012, 03:18 PM
well, test your water. see if that could a be problem. Also, the Marineland lights are pretty bright. If you don't hvae plants, I'd back off to a good old-fashioned T8 fixture. Even indirect sunlight can stimulate algae, too.