PDA

View Full Version : good price for altums?

Samsmobb
02-08-2012, 12:14 PM
i have a guy i know selling altums for about 6 for $100 they are the f1s he bred and are the (P. altum). not the peruvian altums (P. scalare).
i dont know what would be a good price for them, looked on aquabid and couldnt find them and i dont want to over pay for them but they are quarter sized and look pretty healthy.
thanks guys

nikond70s
02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
6 for $100 is a great cheap price for altums. especially for the F1's. as they were going for $35+ each. but for that price they not even be altums. if u have a pic i can confirm. lots of people label there angels "altums" for marketing when its actually just regular scalare angels. but if u know for sure they are altums then i would get them.

Samsmobb
02-08-2012, 12:50 PM
this is his picture i believe, if its a good price i may go ahead and get them well a few not 6 lol

nikond70s
02-08-2012, 12:59 PM
if thats indeed the picture of the actual fish you are getting then yes. they are altums. are u sure thats the actual pic of the fish? that fish looks big. and 6 of that size for $100 is a steal! i hope this is pickup so u can see in person. if its online it might be a lil fishy. id make him take more pics of the actual fish before u buy.

edit: on your first post u said they were quarter size. and u showed a pic of an medium/adult altum. therefore not the actual pic of the fish....fishy. i wouldnt buy unless he showed u actual pics of the fish u are getting.

Samsmobb
02-08-2012, 01:02 PM
yes its pick up and i believe that may be of the parent but ill make sure to ask for more of the juvies and ill post up to see if they match =)

nikond70s
02-08-2012, 01:07 PM
i doubt it. im thinking u have no idea how hard it is to breed altums in captivity? breeding them in captivity is like hitting the lottery.

Samsmobb
02-08-2012, 01:16 PM
yes i have no idea how hard it is but couple people win the lottery yearly so maybe he won it too :block:

nikond70s
02-08-2012, 02:09 PM
i hope hes able to breed them. but not likely. and for that price def not. i hope they are altums tho. hate to see u get them and later realized they are not altums. just so u know. people label them as altums to catch attention for marketing. would like to see pics of actually F1 altums he so call bred.

Samsmobb
02-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Of course I'll definitely post pics as I get them and I can tell difference between a regular angel and something else, now whether it's an altum idk lol regardless it's still cheaper than what LFS charges for medium to full grown angels lol Almost

JamesHe
02-08-2012, 03:28 PM
F1 means parents are wild. make sure it is.

Samsmobb
02-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Oh okay I was thinking it meant the first spawn from a fish not so much wild fish

tacks
02-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Please dont waste your money. No one has breed true altums in captivity. Do your self a favor and wait till next year when a good dealer will have some in stock. just my 2cents Ed

truc_tuyen
02-08-2012, 07:11 PM
i saw his post in washington dc craigslist as well. I send the guy email asking for more pic of the fish. he so far not response to my email yet. Yes, it is too early because i just email him this afternoon. I hope that he will response. as late as tomorrow

when I got pics, i will post here

JamesP
02-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Funny I have F1's that were imported last year. A few of us on this forum have fish from this one order. I will post a picture when I get back in town.

Samsmobb
02-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh lol

Kingdom Come Discus
02-09-2012, 12:32 PM
According to Marc Wiess there have been many True Altums breed in captivity over the last forty years. Marc hasn't lied to me yet.

truc_tuyen
02-09-2012, 10:50 PM
i wait all day for that guy to reply, so far, i recieve nothing.

I also do google search, some web side in uk also list his stuff.