PDA

View Full Version : Will dark background cause excessive peppering?

bornlooser
02-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Hi,
I have read that dark substrates cause the Discus to pepper...just wondering whether it would be the same with a dark/black background? also, does this only affect the Pigeon Blood Lines? what about a blue Turk for instance?
thanks

discus day
02-09-2012, 12:17 AM
it will cause the pbs to pepper and the other discus color appears darker. they change color to blend in their suroundings so dark background and substarte will generate dark discus

pseudocaesar
02-09-2012, 12:43 AM
How dark though? has anyone done comparisons?

discus day
02-09-2012, 12:52 AM
i belive the darker the background and substrate the darker the discus will turn

Michigandiscus
02-09-2012, 01:01 AM
I purchased a 135 gallon off of Craig list it had a black back ground. You could not tell the discus apart they all looked. Alike very dark I do not recommended it.

Chicago Discus
02-09-2012, 01:45 AM
get albinos no peppering ........Josie

cjr8420
02-09-2012, 04:07 AM
every fish is different try this tape some white paper around tank for a couples days then change it to black paper for a couple days and see what you like better then get something permanent

gerrard00
02-09-2012, 10:22 AM

Here's an old thread:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86193-A-discus-black-substrate-vs-light-substrate

BoiseDiscusGuy
02-10-2012, 08:23 PM
There has been much discussion on this topic. I have PB's as well as non PB's and have personally tested the theory. In my case, I went between black, blue, and no background. In all the different backgrounds, I didnt notice any substantial difference in color, shade or peppering. Not to say this will always be the case, but in mine, it seems the background color had very little effect. Granted, I run BB with a white bottom, which maybe makes the difference...If black background with black substrate, the results may have been different.

discuspaul
02-10-2012, 09:08 PM
There has been much discussion on this topic. I have PB's as well as non PB's and have personally tested the theory. In my case, I went between black, blue, and no background. In all the different backgrounds, I didnt notice any substantial difference in color, shade or peppering. Not to say this will always be the case, but in mine, it seems the background color had very little effect. Granted, I run BB with a white bottom, which maybe makes the difference...If black background with black substrate, the results may have been different.

Pretty much agree with Chris.
My experience has been the same - I got little or no peppering with a very dark blue background coupled with a white pool filter sand substrate. (But lots with with the dark background and dark substrate). It seems that dark substrate even with a lighter background has a lot more peppering effect than just dark background if the substrate is a lighter coloration.
And it just doesn't affect PB varieties, but also lighter, pastel colored discus - those with light red, orange-ish, and buff/yellow colors - even some white strains.

gerrard00
02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Here's an old thread:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86193-A-discus-black-substrate-vs-light-substrate

Wow! Reading is fundamental. I replied to this thread thinking "substrate" and not "background". Please ignore my previous post.

SaTiVa1984
02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
I recently changed from a light background to pure matt black and my discus has become a lot darker, if he comes close to the front glass tho he fills back up with colour.

I have a very light sand substrate.

I had no idea they changed colour to blend into their surroundings tho, learn something new everyday :)

joeymac
02-25-2012, 03:43 AM
i changed my black backround to white and the peppering on my pbs stopped immediately.

peglegderek
03-10-2012, 12:25 AM
ive got lite color substrate and a black background my blue Pigeon has pretty much peppering but my red doesnt have any at all! what color does everyone recomend for the background?

benico
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Interesting.... what's the best background to have then? I did a grey background and realise my dark blue discus now looks dark grey...

rwong2k
03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Wow! Reading is fundamental. I replied to this thread thinking "substrate" and not "background". Please ignore my previous post.

Great read with photos toO!