PDA

View Full Version : my first discus

bigjohnson
02-11-2012, 04:24 PM

Here's my first batch of discus...came in Friday from Discus Hans. All went well until about 9:00 last night. One of the PBS looked to be getting fin rot...dosed the tank with salt at 10:00, and babysat until about 12:30. This morning looked much better, and they are moving around the tank and have even eaten 2x today...but I'm still not out of the woods yet, may have a mini cycle starting...ammonia sneaking up slightly (thanks for the heads up Pat)...got water heating up in my barrell for a w/c. They are still a little shy, but it's only been a day and a half...wanted to post a pic.

Mark J.

Bill63SG
02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Depending on the discus,it can take 1-2 weeks for them to get used to the routine and all settle in.

gerrard00
02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
More pics!

DiscusBR
02-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Depending on the discus,it can take 1-2 weeks for them to get used to the routine and all settle in.

+1

Looking good. You might want to increase the number of water changes for a while to make sure there is no amonia or nitrite.

Second Hand Pat
02-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Heck yes Mark, congrats on your new crew. More pics and daily WCs are your friend for the next week or two.

deepflyball
02-13-2012, 01:49 PM
IT looks to me that your back ground is dark in color. This could be a problem as they will try and hide or they will pile up in a corner. also you have a clear bottom tank on what looks like a black stand. Dark colors stress them out. Jerry

YSS
02-13-2012, 03:36 PM
IT looks to me that your back ground is dark in color. This could be a problem as they will try and hide or they will pile up in a corner. also you have a clear bottom tank on what looks like a black stand. Dark colors stress them out. Jerry

This is news to me.

bigjohnson
02-13-2012, 05:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the background...I've got white sand in the bottom of the tank approx 1/2'', it's not clear. Pat, I'll keep up the water changes like you recommend...I'll admit, I'm stressing a bit...these guys are keeping me on my toes, keeping my mind on work when I'm there is going to be tough until I know these guys will be okay. I'll post more pics later...gotta go get some water ready. Thanks for the help everyone.

Mark.