PDA

View Full Version : chlorine question

Cowboy
02-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Will be receiving some discus tomorrow (Monday) and putting them in a 125g that I sanitized with chlorox bleach yesterday (Saturday). Was rinsed and set up. Didn't fill it with water until this morning (Sunday) and have had a ac500 running since to keep the water moving. I live in the country and have my own private well so no chlorine in the tap. Will I need to put in any kind of chlorine remover or will it have all dissipated? Don't worry about the filter media as it is in another tank. I can't detect any chlorine smell in water.

Sean Buehrle
02-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Just dose it once to be safe.

Cowboy
02-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Never had to use chlorine remover before. What product would you recommend and will there be a waiting period before putting fish in?

JamesHe
02-13-2012, 01:21 AM
After use bleach, you shold let it dry completely.

cjr8420
02-13-2012, 01:51 AM
you should be good but 1 dose to be safe sounds good .any tap water conditioner will do. seachem prime/safe is what most here use and it works immediate so no wait once u dose.wish i had a well just for the fishes everything would be on a constant drip

Cowboy
02-13-2012, 08:16 AM
you wouldn't have wished for it the other day. Had to put a new pump in. $2400 for the pump and I'm sure the labor will bring it up to 3000. Can't complain though, this one lasted 15 years

jimg
02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
It's always best to let the chlorine air dry. If you use safe for the amount of chlorine in municipal water (i know you have well) it's fine, but when we dump a cup or more in an aquarium you can put safe in until your blue in the face and it will do little.

cjr8420
02-13-2012, 01:23 PM
you wouldn't have wished for it the other day. Had to put a new pump in. $2400 for the pump and I'm sure the labor will bring it up to 3000. Can't complain though, this one lasted 15 years
my water bill is alot more expensive just not all at once lol

It's always best to let the chlorine air dry. If you use safe for the amount of chlorine in municipal water (i know you have well) it's fine, but when we dump a cup or more in an aquarium you can put safe in until your blue in the face and it will do little.
if ya read he cleaned tank with bleach rinsed left over nite then filled up.didnt just dump a cup of bleach in a filled up tank

jimg
02-13-2012, 01:56 PM
maybe I need to rephrase what I meant... if we add a cup or so to an aquarium soak then rinse, without air drying the residual bleach on the silicone or glass can still be too much for dechlors to eliminate.

Skip
02-13-2012, 03:22 PM
.. well its monday.. What happened

JamesHe
02-13-2012, 03:26 PM
maybe I need to rephrase what I meant... if we add a cup or so to an aquarium soak then rinse, without air drying the residual bleach on the silicone or glass can still be too much for dechlors to eliminate.

+1

Cowboy
02-16-2012, 05:24 PM
It's thursday and everything going good. I did add prime to play it safe. However, getting them home was a different story. They were suppose to arrive at airport at 4:30 after a brief layover in Minneapolis. My wife and I left home at 3:30, got to the airport and were told they weren't there, still in Minneapolis, but would be on next flight and arrive at 6:30. 6:00 comes and we get a phone call from airport that they weren't on this flight either. Next flight arrives at 9:00. Ooookay, umm, now what do we do? Part of the reason for using air was to save money. ($60 air, shipment one month ago was $130 Fed Ex). We just came from Barnes & Noble and easily spent the difference, plus now had to eat out again. Wife is an unhappy camper by now. She only came along to keep me company. You know, straight to the airport, pick up fish and straight home. So me, being the sensitive guy I am says, well, I need some fish supplies. Do you mind? By the third pet store she did. Really, she's great, but she hadn't signed up for this. It didn't help that I got lost getting to the 3rd stop (those intersections look different in the dark, you know) but, at least I was smart enough to pull over and look the address up to put in the GPS. (See honey, I told you we were really close). So, 9:00 comes and at airport again. Monitor assures me that flight is on schedule. 9:15 and still no plane. Due to de-icing plane was delayed but is in air and package on board. Finally, plane lands at 9:30 and passengers stream out of building leaving just us two. A couple pushes on the buzzer and man emerges with familiar looking box. Yay! Wouldn't you know it, he didn't have change for $100 bill. 15 minutes later we are outa there. So, will get home at 11:30 which we did. Took 20 minutes to get set-up for the 2 hour acclimation. (Good thing I bought that Clint Eastwood western movie at Barnes & Noble). Their water temp was 74 so not too bad. (Was 64 with the Fed Ex shipment). Finally, fish are ready for transfer into tank at 2 am. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

jimg
02-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Wow! I thought I had problems with shipments......... not so bad now!
Anyway I hope all ends well

discus day
02-16-2012, 05:43 PM
thats why i prefer fed ex lol for me fed ex has shown up on time every time. i have rder from kenny 4 times now and every time the man was at the door by 10:30