PDA

View Full Version : Water slide to the sky

Rubberducky
02-13-2012, 09:50 PM
While doing a WC tonight I had a cardinal tetra take a ride on the ''Big waterslide into the sky". I vaccum directly outside. It was twenty minutes before I realized one was missing. 20 degrees outside, I don't imagine he lasted very long. Does anyone have a suggestion to curb this for the future?

JenTN
02-13-2012, 09:53 PM
I sit and watch mine for this reason. Ive sucked up a ram while gravel vacuuming & a cory while it was sitting there..no casualties though. Tetras get brave near the end, I start moving the tube around to shoo them away.

moon_knight1971
02-14-2012, 10:25 PM
a piece of pantyhose over the tubing end that connects to the nozzle. problem with that though is that you would have to use another siphone to get the debris on the bottom.

Joey!

walt3
02-14-2012, 11:36 PM
i just watch them.

Orange Crush
02-15-2012, 03:32 AM
Attatch a large enough mesh screen that debris can be sucked up but not the fish.

CajunAg
02-15-2012, 05:59 AM
i just watch them.

+1 Having clear tubing might also help you catch those ones that still manage to find a way in.

Rubberducky
02-15-2012, 12:33 PM
My main problem is that I was trying to be in too many places at once. I use a pump to to pump water out the front door which is 40' away. I had been using my siphon at the same time to help expedite the water evacuation. all the while running around the house like a chicken with my head cut off. In the future I plan to just pump water out, put the pump away, then start siphoning the gravel. This way I always have my attention on the siphon. Lesson learned!

gerrard00
02-16-2012, 12:31 PM
I drain into a bucket that sits in my tub. Any unlucky fish that get sucked up just get stuck in the bucket and don't make it down the drain.

Rubberducky
02-16-2012, 04:04 PM
I drain into a bucket that sits in my tub. Any unlucky fish that get sucked up just get stuck in the bucket and don't make it down the drain.

I thought about this the other night, might have to give it a try. Do you then just let the bucket overflow?