PDA

View Full Version : High PH and Hard Well Water

Celticreds5
02-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Hi, new here, but not real new to Discus. I have recently set up a 45 gal corner tank and want to keep domestic discus. I had a larger tank about 12 yrs ago and kept 6-7 discus for several years--even had them breed a few times. Sadly I lost them due to a hurricane and a long power outage. I didn't know nearly as much then as I do now--though I am always learning still. I don't remembering worrying nearly as much over ph and hardness as I am now and I did pretty well with them back them :) Here's my questions and present info.

I bought the tank used and brought it home and set it up. I was lucky as the previous owner seemed to be a good aquarium keeper and her tank was in very nice condition. Since it had been used and recently drained, I am assuming it had some good bacteria remaining to help cycle the tank. I did a fishless cycle with the original HOB filter from the previous owner for about three weeks. I then removed the HOB and added a new Eheim canister and an internal sponge filter #5 on an air pump. When water began to stabilize, but not quite ready for discus, I added 5 corys. They did fine from the get go and I have had no issues. They have been in the tank now for going on 3 weeks. So overall, the tank has been running for about 5-6 weeks. I tested my water daily at first and now about every 2-3 days. I do twice weekly water changes of about 25-30%. It has been pretty steady for 2 weeks or more

Ammonia-0 Nitrites 0.25 Nitrates 20ppm High ph 8.2 GH 15 The tank has about 2 in of gravel substrate and two live Amazon Sword plants--the rest are fake. My biggest problem is we have well water with a high PH--around 8 From what I have read it may be safer and better for the fish to adapt to my water conditions than to constantly try to bring the PH down to a more acidic level. I know I can add peat to help lower it, but I have also heard it can turn the tank brown, which I would like to avoid if possible. RO isn't an option for now. But I of course want to do what is best for the fish to keep them healthy. If it is ok and best not to mess with my PH, how would I adapt new discus to my PH from the PH it comes from? Thank you ahead of time for your input and time.

jimg
02-13-2012, 10:18 PM
your ph is fine for domestics. imo you should have left the hob filter on. the tank needs to cycle before adding any discus, nitrites need to be 0.
I am not one for gravel substrate and discus especially younger discus but if you remove it now you may worsen the little cycle you have. let it cycle more then add discus then slowly after a couple months take gravel out if you want an easier time with discus.
as for acclimating them to your tap ph. if you ph is fairly close to the ph they were previously kept in, just float the bag to get the temp close and so long as the ph is higher,not lower just put them in. if the ph of yours is lower or much higher than what they were kept in then I pour one cup of your water into their bag/bucket water every 15 minutes for an hour then into your tank

deepflyball
02-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I think your well water will be fine. For breeding you my have to cut it with ro water . I am more concerned about your gravel. most discus keepers feed beefheart ( meat) and that stuff is messy. it will collect in your gravel posabley making your fish verry sick. When you get your new fish poor them in a clean bucket with there water from there baggs. If your not getting many just place there baggs in the bucket upright and cut there tops off and slowly add your water a cup or 2 at a time( about every 15 min. play close attention to water temp rasing it slowley to match your tank. After an hour or so check the ph in your bucket. When they match temp and ph poor them in the tank. Jerry

Celticreds5
02-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks Jim,
I think I am inclined to agree with you on HOB filter. I had the largest Penquin with bio-wheels with my tank years ago and had no issues. But I thought the canister would be better and the HOB that came with the set up was very noisy. I haven't checked the propeller--that may be the only problem and if so, I may just add it back on--I don't think we can ever have too much filtering. I appreciate your input.

jimg
02-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks Jim,
I think I am inclined to agree with you on HOB filter. I had the largest Penquin with bio-wheels with my tank years ago and had no issues. But I thought the canister would be better and the HOB that came with the set up was very noisy. I haven't checked the propeller--that may be the only problem and if so, I may just add it back on--I don't think we can ever have too much filtering. I appreciate your input.Hob's are my favorites! good luck

Celticreds5
02-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks Jerry,
I'm so glad I found this place. I wrote to a online seller asking the same question and they sent me a short and sweet email saying they had a product that would bring the ph down. So it sounds like the gravel may have to go. I guess the plants I have would need to be put in pots if I take out the gravel? If I have bottom feeders--I do have corys, but maybe a couple of bigger ones--safe plecos or something--would that help along with the water changes with a python gravel cleaner? I have to admit I like the looks of the gavel--but as always the health of the fish comes first.

Joe
02-22-2012, 07:46 PM
I use well water and have no issues and I do water changes daily. I do use Prime also

Joe

Celticreds5
02-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks Joe, I am feeling much better about the well water and higher Ph after all the great replies here.