PDA

View Full Version : TREATING FIN ROT IN DISCUS

SHARP120
02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
I am sure I won't be the only person to experience fin rot in a Discus. When I was with Jeff Yang in KL mid last year I spoke to him about it and he told me that there was no cure and the only possibility was to trim the rotted area off with a pair of scissors. I discussed this with Rod and he agreed.

Personally I had trouble with this idea and so I purchased a Waterlife product called "MYXAZIN" from Age of Aquarium here in Browns Plains. I treated the fish over a 5 day period as per the instructions and waited for a few weeks to see what resulted. Unfortunately there was no improvement and it actually got worse.

I then decided to try the direct approach and caught the fish and while holding in my wet left hand I applied the treatment to both sides of the infected area with a cotton bud once a day over 4 days.

The fish has now regrown almost all of the damaged fin over about 4 or 5 weeks so it would appear that we now have a treatment for fin rot in Discus that works.

I hope this information proves useful to others.

Peter.

TURQ64
02-17-2012, 09:27 AM
good post and med reference. That said, there are many exsisting cures for fin rot, depending on which bacteria you are dealing with in specifics.Maybe some info was overlooked? Most fish pathologists recognize Flavobacterium columnare as the real deal, with Aeromonas and Pseudomonas following close behind for blame..realizing that these bacteria live in a balance, they have been treated with success.I guess I'm not sure on the 'there is no cure' part of the conversation.

Rod
02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
I discussed this with Rod and he agreed.

Normally i have an excellent memory, but i cannot remember this, and in fact i disagree with it??? You may have taken something i said out of context Peter, and if this is the answer you think i said, i apologize for not picking up on the misunderstanding during discussion.

You may get a much better response by posting in the disease section btw.........i don't mind people posting in my forum, but it is hardly the right place for this type of question.

Thanks

Rod

brewmaster15
02-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Rod,
I moved this to the disease board....better place for it.

-al

Rod
02-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks Al :)

IME finrot on discus can be caused by multiple pathogens and conditions, meaning different medications could be required depending on the cause. I have no experience with Myxazin http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/myxazinp.htm , and the website doesn't contain a list of ingredients that i can see. Looks like it is some sort of antibiotic however, so in cases where a bacterial pathogen is causing illness, it could well be useful.

Regards

Rod