PDA

View Full Version : Brown Algae and sponge filters

Brokenrack
02-17-2012, 05:12 PM
I just got some Hydro sponges about a week ago and now I have brown algae. Each tank that I put a new hydo sponge in has developed brown algea. each has a different combonation of filters already and still in use. All tanks (with and without agea) get the same water ( 75/25 ro/filtered tap) from the same aging barrels. Only the tanks with the new hydo sponges have the algea (diatoms).

Anyone else ever have this?

Any ideas what could be in the sponges to cause this?

Thanks,
Scott

Darrell Ward
02-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Perhaps it was just collected from the water column? Sponge filters pick up quite a lot of "stuff" you may not realize until you squeeze them out. The sponge material could also have traces of phosphates in it. Diatoms love phosphate, and silicates. In any case, it's likely to dissapear as the sponge ages a bit.

Brokenrack
02-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Just to be clear the algea was on the glass in the tanks. I agree must have been something in the sponges or something they are made of(now). Each tank also has different lighting. I can't stand the stuff and the one most affected is one that I have a pair that I have finally been able to get freeswimers from (the females in my avatar). I have been avoiding changing water in that tank cause each time I do they eat their eggs or fry and spawn again. I didn't want to disturb it either while they where eggs and possibly have it hurt the hatch as it was a moderate spawn. I rinsed two of them in tap water and on in tank water before using them. I ahve six more I want to use but I'm not sure what I should clean them with first.
Scott

Trashcore
03-01-2012, 09:34 AM
I actually am having this problem in my angelfish breeding tank. My sponge is a deep blue professional brand but I rinsed it and am having a hell of time keeping the algae down. And I run my tank lights about 8 hours. I keep these sponges in every other tank... Wierd

Skip
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM
how often you water change?!

roundfishross
03-01-2012, 10:35 AM
also what size is the tank and what wattage and type of bulb are ypu using?

Trashcore
03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Once a week 50 percent. 29 gallon and a small floursecent.

warblad79
03-01-2012, 04:52 PM
you need more water change

Trashcore
03-01-2012, 05:48 PM
It's an angelfish breeding tank....

Orange Crush
03-02-2012, 07:52 AM
It's an angelfish breeding tank....
What's that got to do with the price of green cheese?
Regardless of the algae or not a AF breeding tank should have daily water changes and doing that will have the added benifit of reducing your algae growth.

Brokenrack
03-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I Change at least 50% a day on each tank. Lighting is about half a watt per gallon, 5000k, 3200k, 2700k but diatoms don't seem to need much light. I was just curious if others have had this lately. It's deff. the sponge filters nothing else had changed. I have not had much luck with new equipment latley. I got a new Brute 44 gal and haven't been able to use it yet (2 weeks) every time I fill it I get a film on the water. Drain it clean it, fill it film again. Looks like it's gona be a trash can after all.

Orange Crush
03-02-2012, 05:13 PM
I Change at least 50% a day on each tank. Lighting is about half a watt per gallon, 5000k, 3200k, 2700k but diatoms don't seem to need much light.
Tell us more about the tank in question. Plants? Nitrate level? Phosphate level? etc.

Brokenrack
03-02-2012, 05:29 PM
All are BB. No plants. I change ATLEAST 50% a day so Nitrates are minimal<10. I don't test for phosphates. My other tanks with the same water etc. except the sponges I was seeding for future tanks have no algea. I do have a 20H that I am keeping some filters alive that I moved from the same three tanks that's getting daily doses of ammonia that the nitrates are really high 80ppm but no algea.