PDA

View Full Version : check this out

jimg
02-19-2012, 11:36 AM
http://www.afwfilters.com/store/hydro-logic-systems/high-output-hydro-logic-evolution-1000-gpd-tankless-on-demand-reverse-osmosis-system-324.html

Second Hand Pat
02-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Wonder what the input psi needs to be. Awesome idea if it works.

Brokenrack
02-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Wonder what the input psi needs to be. Awesome idea if it works.
says 55PSI?

jimg
02-19-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm going to call them and ask some questions. I use 2 separate ro units a 75gpd and a 100gpd but they waste about 5-7 gallons of water for each gallon of ro

DiscusBR
02-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Jim, please update us on your findings about this unit. Looks very intesting.

So a unit like this could be used for both water changes and house consumption, right?

AngryBird
02-19-2012, 05:02 PM
does this mean we can get away with the storage barrel?

atitagain
02-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Jim, please update us on your findings about this unit. Looks very intesting.

So a unit like this could be used for both water changes and house consumption, right?

+1

Great find Jim. Please let us know what you find out.

nc0gnet0
02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Well it outputs 40 gallons every hour, not quite what I would call "on demand". If your checking on it Jim ask why they have a 2000 gallon carbon prefilter on a 1000 gallon a day RO. That means you would need to change the prefilter every other day @1000 GPD. Replacement membranes are a bit pricey at $350.00 a set (it uses two) but they claim they only need to be replaced every 2 years.......I would rather see how many gallons they could produce before they called for replacement.

Rick

Skip
02-19-2012, 11:07 PM
goodness!!

look what stick i found on the side..

http://theweswillard.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/flux-capacitor.jpeg

DiscusOnly
02-19-2012, 11:59 PM
The specs is very simliar to the discontinued Merlin RO that listed as having max of 1000gpd. From the picture, the membrane look to be the same as the one use in the Merlin. The Merlin was much cheaper.

DiscusOnly
02-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Ok.. acorrding to this link, the RO-1000 is the newly improved Merlin under a new name.

http://www.waterfilters.net/GE-Merlin-Tankless-Reverse-Osmosis-System.html

YSS
02-20-2012, 12:25 AM
does this mean we can get away with the storage barrel?

Don't think so. Its capacity is 2/3 gallon per minute. That means it will take me over four hours to fill my tank.

nc0gnet0
02-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Don't think so. Its capacity is 2/3 gallon per minute. That means it will take me over four hours to fill my tank.

Plus you would still have to heat the water. All that being said, might still be a good deal, just would be curious to see how it perfoms under real world conditions. It wouldn't eleminate the need for storage barrels, can the unit be fitted with an automatic shutoff/float system? Two of my three RO units come from abundant flow, and they are good people to deal with.

Rick

discussmith
02-20-2012, 05:58 PM
I just finished wiring two RO systems for a hotel here. They both have an output of 4 GPM. No that's not a typo that's per minute. Oh and sorry Rick but with a 1 to 2 output the carbon filter would see 2000 gals. the first day's output.

nc0gnet0
02-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Oh and sorry Rick but with a 1 to 2 output the carbon filter would see 2000 gals. the first day's output.

D'oh! Your right, so you would need to change it every day....ouch!

MostlyDiscus
02-22-2012, 07:45 AM
You can put a turd in a box and wrap it up with a paper and a bow. In the end it will still stink. I think Rick has it right here. Save your money and buy the 1000GPD flexerion in the same add. I have a 2k per day titan and it is the real deal. I will do a test on waster vs product water at some point and give you a real water saving as per the energy efficent membranes the titan comes with. I have had this unit for over a year(longer I am sure) and the product water is still 2 micros u. I had two merlins and 500 gals a day was a stretch. How new and improved can it be? If I had to guess on the waste/product ratio I would guess that 20/80 in that order. The biggest problem is heating the water in the winter.
Ed

YSS
02-22-2012, 10:42 AM
You can put a turd in a box and wrap it up with a paper and a bow. In the end it will still stink. I think Rick has it right here. Save your money and buy the 1000GPD flexerion in the same add. I have a 2k per day titan and it is the real deal. I will do a test on waster vs product water at some point and give you a real water saving as per the energy efficent membranes the titan comes with. I have had this unit for over a year(longer I am sure) and the product water is still 2 micros u. I had two merlins and 500 gals a day was a stretch. How new and improved can it be? If I had to guess on the waste/product ratio I would guess that 20/80 in that order. The biggest problem is heating the water in the winter.
Ed

So, how often would you have to change the membrane on this unit?

jimg
02-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Talked to them today the 1000gpd is max and the filter is to 2000g but he said most will have as I do additional pre filter carbon. it is basically designed for in my words whole house ro where someone wants a pitcher of ro water without holding tanks don't have to wait 20 mins.
the big advantage is the saving on waste.
If I were to use it say using 100g of ro a day with what filtration I have now, I could get 4 years on membranes min and a year on the pre filters

MostlyDiscus
02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
The merlin membranes lasted a year or so. The prefilter is the key to keeping your membranes in good shape. If merlins were that good I would still have them. I disliked them so much that I would not even put my rep on the line by selling them to others. I threw them out. just saying....

jimg
02-22-2012, 04:07 PM
I take it you sell ro units?

MostlyDiscus
02-22-2012, 06:35 PM
hehe.... no Jim I dont. I have used a few though. I used one in the early 90s called a reo pure. 400 gallons a day and I thought I was the mac. I am not saying that this will not work for you my friend. Just saying that I was not happy with the merlins I had before. I do remember buying 4 extra membranes and going through them rather quickly. There seem to be better membranes on the market so maybe the upgraded merlin uses a better membrane?

Ed

jimg
02-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Oh I thought when you said about your rep selling to others you meant you sell them!
I use the regular units,but I don't like the 5+ gallons of waste for each 75 or 100gpd unit. I need to up my ro but at the same time not waste. I tried piggybacking 2 membranes to one unit but had to increase my water pressure to get them working better, but still had about the same amount of waste but more tds, so i went back to 2 separate units.
I can't find a 2000 gpd unit you said was in the same add, which unit do you have and why do you like it better than the one I was looking at or the merlin?
Also let me know when you measure your waste to ro with the one you have.

nc0gnet0
02-24-2012, 01:30 AM
I have two piggybacked together and then the waste water from those two plumbed into the input of a third unit. It takes good pressure to do this however.

Rick

jimg
02-24-2012, 10:02 AM
I have two piggybacked together and then the waste water from those two plumbed into the input of a third unit. It takes good pressure to do this however.

Rick
How long do your membranes last? what pressure do you have going into the first unit? and did you get a 40%+- reduction in waste?
I may be wrong but my ideas on piggy back is the units have a flow restrictor specifically designed to put x amount of back pressure on the membrane, if you hook the waste from one to the input of another there is much more pressure put on the first units outflow. I see they come from suppliers set up like that to get more gpd and cut on waste, but when I did it, I had to increase my pressure to 70psi and didn't see a noticeable difference in waste.
I don't like to waste, I used to use waste for growouts but I am not breeding domestics any more so I watch filtered water go down the drain plus when I increase the house water pressure the more water gets wasted in showers, brushing teeth etc. I don't need a 1000gpd unit, I could use a 200gpd but want more to save on waste.
Does any one use the pressure pumps on their ro system, if so what pressure is it set at?

nc0gnet0
02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Jim,

As crappy as my water is (500+ TDS ph 8.4+) the one thing I am blessed with is great pressure at the spicket (75-80psi). You might be right about the flow restrictors, to tell you the truth I never checked into that. However, I may have compensated for that (inadvertantly) with the way I have set it up. By piggybacking two membranes together It should have reduced the backpressure roughly by 1/2. But then by adding a third to the waste output of the first two, I regained the pressure. I just know it works and I have a significant reduction of waste water per RO water.

Rick

jimg
02-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Rick you don't think connecting the third puts even more pressure on the first?
My water has a tds of about 280 ph 8.0 after aging.
I will definitely try it again before buying the bigger unit if it's working for you and your happy with it, maybe instead of raising all the pressure in the house I could do it your way and get a pump to get pressure up where yours is. I would guess even if it wore membranes out a little faster, 100 gpd membranes are only around $35.00 compared to the cost of the other unit plus $300+ in membranes for that every 4 years.
If you get a chance try to see what you waste to ro is.

ockyra215
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Id like to try it!

nc0gnet0
02-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Rick you don't think connecting the third puts even more pressure on the first?

Yes I am sure it does, but as I said, by piggybacking a membrane on the first unit, that effectively decreased the pressure, then by placing the third on the waste water out, that brought the effective pressure back up. I am sure I could probably get more ro production by having just added a seperate third RO unit, but that would have doubled my waste water. So, I sacrificed a little production by plumbing it the way I did, but cut my waster water to RO water down quite a bit. Any Ro water that the third unit puts out would have been waste water. And yes, the third membrane is always the first to fail, but that is a small price to pay.

I have never actually measured how much waste to RO I have, but I did notice a considerable increase in RO production over an 8 hour period, and also noticed a lot slower stream of waste water coming out.

Trujillp090868
02-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Can you elaborate more on how is the overall set up. I've been debating in my mind to set up a discuss tank and one of my main concerns is water quality and water waste. The water quality in my town is not that good, so i must use RO water, my current ro set up yields 1 gallon to 3 waste. I don't even want to do the math on 50 gallon setup.
Thoughts are appreciated. Note i am new to the forum and the hobby. I found your discussions very informative. I am reading and reading and reading and gaining knowledge as i go. I really want to make an informed decision on this.
Thanks for all the insights.

jimg
02-25-2012, 09:51 AM
my current ro set up yields 1 gallon to 3 waste.
better check that! they say that in the specs, but that's wiith about 75psi and 75 deg water entering the unit (rough idea on those). Most of or water is about 55 deg pressure 40 - 60 avg.