PDA

View Full Version : Micro Bubbles: should we care?

JustinKScott
02-19-2012, 01:05 PM
I wanted to break this off from a separate thread.

I've heard of micro-bubbles. I know we age the tap to get rid of them.

I've heard they are just co2.
I've heard they block gills.
I've heard they burn gills.

If they are just co2, then they would change the PH, and my aged ph doesn't change even though I can get bubbles if using straight tap.

Is there an Inline filter or other such device that will remove them from the water?

Finally--- the thirty million dollar question:

I'm sure the fish would prefer not having them; but does it really matter?
ie will it ACTUALLY stunt, sicken, etc? (sure it might stress, which could lead to sicken)

JustinKScott
02-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Is this what I need to worry about:

http://www.petmd.com/fish/conditions/cardiovascular/c_fi_gas_bubble_disease#.T0FDo4l5mc0

Can I just pump water through aerator?

Cosmo
02-19-2012, 03:20 PM
If you are aging your water, you should be aerating and circulating it while it ages. That should gas off everything before you put it into your tank. If adding from tap, like the article in your link says, keep the nozzle above the water surface so it breaks the surface tension and gasses off while it fills. You need something in your tank at all times to keep breaking the surface tension so oxygen gets into the water and co2 gets out.

JustinKScott
02-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks!

I'm aging all my water today; but would like to shift to a chlorine filter & tankless water heater. So micro bubbles is the last concern that I know of.

So if I use a standard faucet aerator and fill from above the water line, I shouldn't have any micro bubbles?