PDA

View Full Version : Paludarium

AmayaxSin
02-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Has anyone ever tried this?? I've always wanted to do this amazing type of project! I'm thinking about doing hardscape in the water and some kind of tropical rainforest with a waterfall and a chameleon browsing around haha. Either that or red-eye tree frogs. I'm also thinking of putting 2 discus in there as well. I'm thinking about putting this in a 150 gal tall tank. If anyone's tried it I would love to see pictures! :]

rbarn
02-22-2012, 12:52 AM
110 tall I did about 8 years ago. It's hard to get everything balanced out and not rotting with good filtration, but is definitely doable. ADG out of Houston has done some amazing ones over the years. This one had dart frogs in it.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/2e-3.jpg

AmayaxSin
02-22-2012, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=rbarn;865752]110 tall I did about 8 years ago. It's hard to get everything balanced out and not rotting with good filtration, but is definitely doable. ADG out of Houston has done some amazing ones over the years. This one had dart frogs in it.

Oh wow! That's amazing! I love what you did there with the fog! Did you add any fish? How long did it take you to do this project? I bet it took a lot of patience!!

joanstone
02-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Check out the thread on The Planted Tank-1700 gallon stingray river, it's amazing.

rbarn
02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Oh wow! That's amazing! I love what you did there with the fog! Did you add any fish? How long did it take you to do this project? I bet it took a lot of patience!!

Yes it had some small fish. tank was a working experiment that lasted a couple of years. Was still learning what filtration was back then, so the fish did not last long. Setting up systems like this is not too hard. Biggest headaches are in trying to balance temp, humidity and ventilation to keep it wet enough, but not so wet that fungus and mold start growing. Can be frustrating.

I finally just got tired of finding dead pin head crickets everywhere in the house and gave up on dart frogs. They are very cool, but hard to keep alive more than a few months, and their food is so small it's almost impossible to not have escapees getting out. Not a real big fan of bugs in the house.