PDA

View Full Version : Cultured Pool Filter Sand a good plant substrate?

mbunakid
03-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Hello all! I have been thinking about creating a discus aquarium within the next few months, I find myself constantly watching youtube videos of discus :D I am currently running a 75 gallon (Mbuna) African Cichlid tank. I have had pool filter sand in the aquarium for probably close to two years. The aquarium is not planted and I was wondering if it would make a good substrate for a planted aquarium. I really like the look of light color cream or white sand in a planted aquarium. If I could slowly acclimate the sand and any and all organisms/nutrients within it (if there are any) to the lower pH over the period of a couple weeks would it make a good substrate for some plants that get nutrients through their roots? I will have CO2 injection and ~3 watts per gallon.

Skip
03-01-2012, 01:01 AM
what size discus are you planning to get!?

welcome to sd..

mbunakid
03-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Thanks, I've been lurking around unregistered for quite a while haha. I was planning on getting around 10-12 half dollar size discus maybe slightly bigger and raising them/ growing them out in either a 30 or 40 gallon bb tank at first while setting up the planted aquarium with possibly some neons in it to keep it somewhat cycled. Is that a good idea? I figured I may lose a couple on the way and then I can chose my favorite 8 or maybe just end up keeping all the survivors.

Skip
03-01-2012, 09:10 AM
why not just get 5-6 3"-4" fish?!

trust me.. growing out is not easy for the first time.. and this way.. there is no reason to have acceptable loses. :)

rsvrmille
03-01-2012, 12:34 PM
I have plants in pool filter sand and they are doing ok,I do add a little flourish,as sand doesn't offer much for plants.I would start with the discus and plants in different tanks for a while,until both are stable and you are comfortable.
good luck.