PDA

View Full Version : Add new discus to old?

LJC
03-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Hi, I bought my 1st Discus' (Pigeon) about 2 months ago. One thrived as one didn't and although I fought for her with daily water changes, salt & Stress Coat, she would not eat and recently died. What I'm wondering is...the pigeon I found at my lfs is a baby a little smaller than mine. Would mine pick on the baby too much? I know there will be some pecking order stuff but would it not be fair for the new Discus?:confused:

April
03-02-2012, 07:48 PM
You need a group. You need a group of 6 all from the same place same time.
Otherwise you will have the same scenario. Also you could introduce disease mixing sources.
Where ever you buy from be sure they are eating well. Fins erect, no big eye that takes up the whole front of his face . a tiny discus could be an older discus that didn't grow. Runted.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bu21ql

Wes
03-02-2012, 07:48 PM
6 is the magic number to spread out the aggression unless they are a breeding pair. Just 2, the more dominate could pick on the other to the point of death.

Bill63SG
03-02-2012, 08:39 PM
5-6,they are schooling fish.For whatever reason's,when I happened to have less then 5,even in a fairly large tank,55,75,one would dominate,causing the others to hide.And don't forget to quarintine,lfs fish are a cesspool.