PDA

View Full Version : Adding Fish With No Quarantine Tank

Dennis The Mennis
03-03-2012, 02:35 PM
I have no way of setting up a quarantine tank. The only isolation I could provide for the new arrivals would maybe be a bucket or tub in the garage for a few hours. I’d like to add 6-10 corys, (LFS has albinos on sale for 2 bucks each). I have a single 125 with six discus. I know this will be a huge gamble adding additional fish. What steps can I take to help insure success and reduce problems? The only thing I can think of is maybe adding some meds to the tank. However, I don't have a clue as to what or how I should go about that.

Orange Crush
03-03-2012, 02:52 PM
I know this will be a huge gamble adding additional fish.
It is a huge gamble, are you willing to risk the discus for $12-$20 worth of fish? If you add them without QT and you end up with sick/dead discus how much will that cost you to treat/replace them? Why not spend money on a cheap 10 or 20 gal aquarium kit instead?

Dennis The Mennis
03-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Money isnt the problem. It comes down to a promise I made to my wife. I promised only one tank this time. But you're right, I do not want to loose my discus over a few corys. But I would like to add them.

Bill63SG
03-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Your playing russian roulette with your tank,but given the information,I'm not going to waste our time telling you what not to do.I would probably hit the tank with a dose of prazi-pro,and if you can,lower the level in the 125 so you don't have to use so much med.Don't take this as a " its ok to do it this way".

DonMD
03-03-2012, 06:54 PM
QT is the only way. BUT if you insist on adding fish, then I would highly recommend finding a sponsor here on Simply who has the fish you want. This way you're much more likely to get very healthy fish. Not guaranteed, but more likely. I would not put anything from a LFS in with health discus. Just my opinion.

1Chuck9669
03-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I don't mean to intrude on the agreement you have with your wife, but rationalize it to her this way. You need to have a quarantine / hospital tank. It is better to be prepared than not. I agree with Orange Crush, a 10 or 20 gallon kit you can pick up at one of the pet box stores is the way to go. Personally, I would go with a 20. When not in use, store it. This way you really only have one tank going at a time and you have a smaller tank at the ready for the times you need it. WAY better than gambling with your Discus. Just my opinion...please take it with a grain of salt. :)

zimmjeff
03-03-2012, 09:09 PM
we all make that " promise " at one time or another, and we don't keep that one. Tell her you had your fingers crossed then buy jewelry. Good luck.

zimmjeff
03-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I've broke that promise 1, 2, 3, well alot.

Orange Crush
03-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Money isnt the problem. It comes down to a promise I made to my wife. I promised only one tank this time. But you're right, I do not want to loose my discus over a few corys. But I would like to add them.
I would imagine the promise was made because she either 1) does not want you spending more $ on the hobby or 2) she does not want tanks taking up more space.
Explain to her that a 10-20 gal does not take up much room and will save a lot of $ in the long run because you will not have to pay to replace as many fish from not doing a QT and you will not have to use as much medicine in a much smaller tank than the big one you have now.
or you could get a new wife.....;)

Orange Crush
03-03-2012, 09:40 PM
we all make that " promise " at one time or another, and we don't keep that one. Tell her you had your fingers crossed then buy jewelry. Good luck.
No I was smarter than that, I never made that promise because I knew I would never keep it! lol

Dennis The Mennis
03-03-2012, 11:40 PM
She just knows my behavior. I typically do not do anything small. I usually jump into everything all the way. When we got together, I had nine tanks in my one bedroom apartment. Our first house, I had tanks everywhere plus a dedicated fish room. Our second house, is when I got rid of all my fish. Well, as we were looking at our third house, it had a perfect spot for a tank and I claimed it before we even bought the house. But I made the promise not to be so obsessive this time. And, well, I want to keep it. Sure I could do it. But I know exactly where that road leads. And I am just too busy to do it again. So, It’s just the one tank and one tank only.

On a side note, I didn't get the corys today. I got a nice extra large piece of Malaysian driftwood instead. I was talking to the owner about my problem. He might have someone who could keep them for me. However, I am not really sure what to think about having someone else do this.

Bill63SG
03-03-2012, 11:49 PM
we all make that " promise " at one time or another, and we don't keep that one. Tell her you had your fingers crossed then buy jewelry. Good luck.Easier to ask forgivness then permission.

magewynd
03-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Have you thought about one of the small Rubbermaid storage containers? Sponge filter and heater, quarantine for a few weeks then use it for something else, like storing something (extra fish stuff). Out of sight, out of mind. Some have bred their plecos in these things.

Second Hand Pat
03-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Dennis, I personally like to eyeball any fish I have in a QT on a daily basis. Good luck with this but a QT is a necessary item in my book for maintaining healthy fish and it is only setup on an as needed basis.