PDA

View Full Version : JUST STARTIN' OUT

tonytheboss1
03-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Hi All. New to Discus & this forum. Been mostly reading & working on my set-up. Sold my O's, JD's & CK's. Right now I've got a 125g Tenecor w/ Eheim 2075, 2 A/C 500's & Maxi-Jet Pro 1200 for filtration/circulation. Tank is heated with 500w BlueLine Biotherm Titanium Heater & Controller (temp 83.5 +/- .5). The tank is moderately planted with a combo of Eco-Complete & light gravel. Manzanita driftwood centerpiece kinda rounds out the decor. There are 10/15 white ghost shrimp, 10/15 cardinal tetras, 3 GBR's & 2 Raphael Cats (spotted & striped). No discus yet. Still researching; Kenny, Hans, Wattley, local, the choices seem endless. Taking my time & glad for any advice/opinions along the way. Thanx, "T"

Cosgrovb
03-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Lots of us have not experienced good luck with that Titan heater. Watch your temp.

Welcome. Simply is a great place.

Skip
03-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Do have a qt tank

tonytheboss1
03-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Do have a qt tank

Have a 29g available but not up & running. Never really focused on that but I guess I better get a heater & filter to have on standby. Thanx WARLOCK

tonytheboss1
03-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Anyone else?? C'mon guys, I really could use some feedback. I got thick skin so hit me hard if you feel the need. Am I on the right track, do I need to change trains??? "T"

Skip
03-05-2012, 05:46 PM
get the largest fish you can get.. 5" plus.. you will be fine..

don't forget your water changes.. MULTIPLE TIMES per week!

tonytheboss1
03-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Lots of us have not experienced good luck with that Titan heater. Watch your temp.

Noted. Have another in mind (Jehmco) but so far so good w/ this unit. Any suggestions?

tonytheboss1
03-05-2012, 05:51 PM
get the largest fish you can get.. 5" plus.. you will be fine..

So you recommend adults only? Is that because it's planted?

Skip
03-05-2012, 05:58 PM
So you recommend adults only? Is that because it's planted?

yep.. that, and it would your first discus .. fish that size can handle mistakes by their owner much easier AND still survive.. over juvies..

tonytheboss1
03-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Gotcha!! OK bare w/ me now. Is 3 to 4" considered juvie ? The reason I'm asking is there is a substantial difference in pricing. I don't mind spending but $300/400 vs $700/800 for 6 to 8 fish no??

Skip
03-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Gotcha!! OK bare w/ me now. Is 3 to 4" considered juvie ? The reason I'm asking is there is a substantial difference in pricing. I don't mind spending but $300/400 vs $700/800 for 6 to 8 fish no??

yes it is..

but based on the current tank set up that you have.. this will be ideal..
you do not have to worry about trying to grow a juvie 3" (remember, discus are either measure from head to base of tail *standard length or Head to END of Tail *Total Length*.. so you need to ask HOW breeder is measuring.. that 3" fish could actually be a 2.5" to some one else.. :) now remember.. the breeders are not growing out their stock in PLANTED TANKS>. the reason is the amount of food they feed and waste they produce.. breeders get GREAT results..

now.. a hobbyist buys 2.5" fish for their planted tank... cuz all they see is a CHEAP FISH and think it will grow as fast as big as an OSCAR.. but not true.

many newbies have never seen a quality discus in person.. let me tell ya.. LFS and pics from sponsors are NO SUB for seeing the real thing..

the smallest.. i would say.. would be 4".. BUT even then.. if you buy 6-8.. one or two will will be the slowest growers then the rest.. and one or two will be the largest.. the rest in the middle.. thats just normal due to pecking order stuff..

does this make sense

tonytheboss1
03-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Makes a lot of sense. I'll try to focus on the larger adult fish for this project. Would rather spend more & increase the chances of success. Will try to post pics when the choice of breeder is made. Till then will continue reading & researching.
Any & all info (fact or opinion) is welcomed. Knowledged shared is a blessing. Thanx so much for your input. "T"

Chillinfish
03-05-2012, 11:53 PM
If I could go back in time and change one thing, my aquarium would have had no substrate or a very fine layer of LIGHT sand. The discus will be much happier in such an aquarium.

Good luck and have fun.

Andrew

P.S, Discus Hans and Kenny are always fantastic choices. Price may be high for the larger discus, but it is worth it.

Orange Crush
03-06-2012, 04:29 AM
Would rather spend more & increase the chances of success.
+1

Orange Crush
03-06-2012, 04:30 AM
Discus Hans and Kenny are always fantastic choices. Price may be high for the larger discus, but it is worth it.
+1

tonytheboss1
03-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Still searching for knowledge folks. Do any of you have experience (pos. or neg.) with discus from Foster & Smith in Rhinelander, WI. or That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA.? Is it better to go with strictly specialized discus breeders?? "T"

dprais1
03-12-2012, 07:18 PM
had my discus for about two weeks now.
gravel left my tank real fast because it is horrid. now i have sand and i'm happy. ive gotten my fish from 3 different breeders. i can see quality difference even in my ignorrant level of experience. i wouldn't even think of fish store or foster and smith. prices are insane, quality probably poor. keep searching this site and find a good breeder.
foster and smoth is the same as petco.com or petsmart.com.
just my opinion

Samsmobb
03-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Place in Lancaster is one of the biggest fish stores around the va md pa area! But Hans if right in Maryland, most likely they buy from hans like the other pet store in my area and raise prices lol

Orange Crush
03-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Still searching for knowledge folks. Do any of you have experience (pos. or neg.) with discus from Foster & Smith in Rhinelander, WI. or That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA.? Is it better to go with strictly specialized discus breeders?? "T"
I have not purchased fish from That Fish Place but I have purchased plants which were small and not in great shape. However, looking at the pictures of the discus from them they look awful. Stunted, football shaped and peppered.
You will pay more for discus at most LFS and get less quality discus at LFS.

Jeapa
03-12-2012, 08:51 PM
I would not recommend buying discus from the sources you listed. I live driving distance to That Fish Place and I would never buy a discus there. Buy from Hans or Kenny or any of the other sponsors and you won't be sorry. I think starting out with healthy, quality discus can make a huge difference with the sucess of your first experience.

I thought I would enjoy having discus in my planted tak so I bought all 4.5-5" discus. I did not like how hard it was to clean so I removed most of the substrate and potted a few of my larger plantes and gave the rest away. My discus and I are much happier now. I can keep the tank much cleaner and now i ha.ve my daily water changes down to 20 minutes.

shoveltrash
03-13-2012, 12:05 PM
buy from a SD sponsor!!!! better prices, much high quality Discus!
I bought from Kenny & could not be happier :D
(ps - I converted to a bare bottom tank, and YES it is much much much easier to keep clean! if you wanted/like live plants, potted is the way to go IMHO)

tonytheboss1
03-13-2012, 12:12 PM
:bandana: WOW!!!! So that's a resounding NO!! to the 'pet supply chains'. Thanx so much guys for the feedback. Will stick w/ strickly discus breeders. I realize a lot of the forum members have 'hands on' with Kenny & Hans but I'm intrigued by Jack Wattley in Fl. & Mike at Central Ohio Discus. Stiil a couple of weeks more of reading & researching opinions & facts before I decide. You guys have been great!! Thanx again. Oh BTW, changed heaters to 500w JEHMCO w/ controller "T"

Orange Crush
03-13-2012, 03:26 PM
buy from a SD sponsor!!!! better prices, much high quality Discus!
I bought from Kenny & could not be happier :D
(ps - I converted to a bare bottom tank, and YES it is much much much easier to keep clean! if you wanted/like live plants, potted is the way to go IMHO)
+1