PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia coming out of RO system!

Splash156
03-07-2012, 05:29 AM
So my messed up well water! Tanks are all cycled but yet I fight Ammonia.. Tested RO water and I just replaced all filters on it and I test out at .50 ppm of ammonia?
Tested well water and there is 1.5 ppm of Ammonia in my well. The worst part of this is I add .50 ppm Ammonia with every water change I have done. Went and spent $150 on a booster pump and now water tests at .25 ppm. Is this going to kill my fish at .25 ppm of Ammonia? Will a DI filter help take out that .25 ppm of Ammonia? Just when you thought is couldn't get any worse I now have this battle to deal with!! Oh I now run 75 psi on the Ro system with booster pump on, with pump off I get 15-20 psi. Any help on this type of thing?

Thanks,
Jeremy7264272643

discussmith
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I would be a little concerned about this for myself not just the fish. I would start with the closest water utility and just ask questions. What are the minimum allowable concentrations. What are the readings from their wells. If they have to, what do they do for treatment. Be careful not expose your conditions until you know they won't be out to condemn your well. I would not just blow this off however. Make sure it's OK to drink the water so to speak, and if not find out what it will take to fix it. Ammonia is usually the result of a bacterial contamination feeding on organics.