PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

IanGreer
03-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Hi everyone. This is my first post on SD, but I have been reading threads on here for a good part of this year. I finally decided to make an account because I have come across a problem and I don't know what to do. My last aquarium was over eight years ago, so although I remember most of the basics, I would consider myself a newbie.

I apologize in advance for this very long post. My previous fish were all tetras, which I have found require much, much less care than discus do. I am covering every aspect of my tank I can think of, because I am not an expert, and I only hope that one of you experts here will be able to isolate my problem. Thanks in advance :)

I have a 20-gallon tank with two 3.5-inch (roughly) pigeon blood discus, and a small pleco to clean up algae. Since I put the discus in a couple of months ago, I have had various problems with my fish and equipment. I recently upgraded my filter to a Tetra Whisper 20 because my last filter seemed to not move enough water, and my tank grew cloudy and unappealing. With the new filter installed, I have not had any problems with cloudy water. I also have a live ammonia monitor inside my tank, and although it usually detects no harmful ammonia in the water, it has been turning more and more green the past several days. I am planning to remove the gravel in my tank in the next couple weeks, because I have a feeling that it is trapping tons of food and waste which is causing my ammonia levels to rise. I will also remove my plastic plants and just keep a rock in there for them to hide behind. According to the meter, I would estimate my levels of "dangerous" ammonia at around 0.05-0.10 ppm. I have doing 20% water changes every other day and using various chemicals I will list below. Every chemical I have tells me to add 5mL per 10 gallons in my tank, so I add 10mL each time. I'm hoping this is what I should be doing?

10 mL of Stress-Coat every time I change the water.
5-10 mL of Ammo-Lock every other day, since a couple of weeks ago.
10mL of Stress-Zyme every Sunday.
10mL of Accu-Clear once last week, because my water started getting cloudy again.

For the Stress-Coat, I am unsure about whether I should add it to my tap water before adding it to the aquarium, or after. I have been doing the latter since getting my discus.
The Ammo-Lock tells me to add 5mL per 10 gallons to my tank every two days until harmful ammonia is not detected. Although I continue to use it, I don't feel like it has really been making a difference in my tank.
The Stress-Zyme is really beneficial, I think. It helps me clear up the water if it ever gets cloudy, and my discus seemed to grow much more lively after I added it in for the first time.

Now some about my fish. I have two female (I think?) Pigeon Bloods. One is usually dominant over the other. I will call the "dominant" fish Fish 1, and the smaller, secondary fish Fish 2.

Fish 1 is not much larger than Fish 2, only about a quarter inch or so, but she will always get first picks on food and will chase/bully Fish 2 on occasion, usually after eating.
Fish 2 seems to have permanent black marks running down her sides. I know (at least, I have been told) that these mean the fish is stressed. Many times they are hardly visible, though you can still see them faintly, but sometimes Fish 2 will grow very dark, from an orange-juice like color to a rust-like hue with many thin, dark black stress lines and dark fins. Lately, however, Fish 2 has had a very healthy complexion.
Since getting my new filter, Fish 1 has developed a light stress line running vertically along her body, over her eye. Up until today, her behavior did not change since I first got her.
I feed both fish 2-3 times per day with TetraColor pellets. They appear to eat everything they are given, and I clean up their excess food after 15-ish minutes because I am wary of over-feeding them.
When I feed my fish pellets, Fish 1 will eat the overwhelming majority of them, leaving Fish 2 only 5-10 pellets for herself. However, when I feed them bloodworms, which I do every third afternoon, Fish 2 will eat as many, or more, worms than Fish 1 does. I give them one cube of Hikari brand frozen bloodworms to share.
Usually, the two fish will be staying near each other at various places around the tank, usually behind the rock or plastic plants in the aquarium. When I enter my room, they frequently will swim up to greet me, putting their noses close to the glass and swimming around near the top of the water. I am assuming this is normal behavior and doesn't mean they are hungry or need help.

Until about a month ago, Fish 2 seemed to be in really bad shape. She was constantly tormented by Fish 1, chased around and berated nearly every time I would sit down to watch them. Fish 2's stress lines were very vivid throughout this time. When I fed them pellets, Fish 1 would eat nearly all of them, and Fish 2 would be lucky to get maybe five pellets at the most each feeding time. Since I started feeding them bloodworms, Fish 2 has grown much, much healthier and more comfortable in the aquarium.

This is where my present problem begins. I woke up late this morning for school and rushed out the door. I've been busy this week organizing a dinner for a nonprofit I volunteer with, as well as studying for my SAT's, which I am taking tomorrow. (I imagine if I was a discus, I would have had gigantic stress lines all week!) Anyway, excuses aside, I left the house without thinking of my discus. I didn't feed them, nor did I turn on their aquarium light. Partway through school, I realized my mistake, and spent the day hoping that nothing bad would happen to my fish. When I got home today around 4 PM, I popped out a cube of bloodworms immediately to feed them. When I entered my room, both of my discus were hanging around near the filter intake, which I have never seen them do, and they didn't come up to greet me as usual. I dropped in the cube of bloodworms and waited for it to melt. Usually by this time, the fish will have noticed the cube and will be darting towards it to knock some of the thawed worms loose. This time, neither fish moved. Only Fish 2 slowly turned around and nipped at some of the descending worms as they sank to the gravel. I watched for the next few minutes as Fish 2 slowly proceeded to eat a few more worms, maybe ten in total, and then lose interest. Fish 1 continued to hang at the bottom of the tank, not moving or eating anything.
I scooped up the bloodworms and wondered why the fish still were so interested in the filter intake. I opened up my filter compartment and noticed that my filter cartridge was nearly black with debris. Checking my calendar, I noticed that it had been a little over four weeks since last changing my filter. When I first purchased this replacement filter, the water in the aquarium was disgusting, almost opaque-white, and tested extremely high for both ammonia and nitrates. I decided that the filter could probably be changed early since it had cleaned up all that grossness previously. I removed both internals of my filter, washed them with warm tap water, and inserted a new cartridge.
It was at this point I noticed something was definitely wrong with Fish 1. Although Fish 2 was acting completely normal, (actually, looking and acting better than ever!) Fish 1 was hovering behind the rock now, bottom nearly touching the gravel, and fins quavering extremely quickly. She also has a single, very dark stress line going over her eye. I tried dropping in a few pellets near her, and she gave no response. Fish 2 even came in to clean them up for her after a bit. I put my finger against the glass, which usually will get her to move, but nothing happened.
After this, I did a 20% water change, following my schedule, and added 10mL each of Stress-Coat, Stress-Zyme (since I had a new filter cartridge), and Ammo-Lock. My ammonia meter is at the same level (0.05-0.10 ppm) after all of this. I am beginning to doubt the effectiveness of this ammonia meter, unless the levels really didn't change at all after all those modifications to the tank.

Now, here I am, three hours later, and Fish 1 hasn't moved from his spot behind the rock. The fact that his fins are still waving so quickly is what worries me. I won't do anything more to the tank tonight, but I also am not happy with Fish 1 going an entire day without eating because previously he was an extremely voracious eater. Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation? Is the fast fin-waving an early symptom of some disease I do not know of? Are there any other tips you can share with me about my tank? I would like to know whether or not it's a bad idea to keep a bare-bottom tank, or if I am putting too many chemicals into my water. Also, if anyone has recommendations for an ammonia test or water meter, I would appreciate that too!

Once again, thank you so much for reading this whole long post. I'll check back tomorrow after finishing my SAT to see if there's anything that needs to be done. I'm not sure how active this forum is or how quickly I will get a response, but I appreciate any help you can offer me! I am happy to finally be a member of SimplyDiscus.

judy
03-10-2012, 01:05 AM
You may not be so happy when you read this reply. Two discus will not work. twenty gallons will not work. If your filter was that filthy, you have clearly not been maintaining the tank adequately. If you have ammonia readings, you are absolutely not maintaining the tank properly. Dumping chemicals in does not replace LARGE daily water changes, proper cleaning of filters, and maintenance of the substrate, if you must have one. Sell those poor fish. Start over with a half dozen discus in a tank that can accomodate them (a minimum of seventy gallons is ideal) after doing a LOT of reading on this forum about what us needed to proeperly keep discus-- or get some other fish.

Orange Crush
03-10-2012, 01:31 AM
I agree with what Judy said. If you have been on this forum reading things for that long then nothing she has said should come as a surprise to you.

Orange Crush
03-10-2012, 04:22 AM
Always add dechlor before adding water to the tank. The best way to deal with the ammonia is to do enough large daily water changes to reduce the amount to 0 ppm and keep it there.
Perhaps your tank never got fully cycled because you are adding water with chlorine to your tank. Cloudy water is often "bacterial bloom" and an indicator of a tank in the beginning stages of the N cycle.

What is your pH, nitrIte and nitrAte levels?
What are the actual ammonia level using a liquid test kit (not a useless in tank moniter)?

brewmaster15
03-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Ian,
Glad to see you decided to post instead of lurking. As the others said, you really want to start over with how the tank is set up... what you are doing is not going to work well for discus and thats whats your fish and tank are telling you.
Theres not a quick fix here.
Take a look at these threads please... They are meant to guide you and other novices....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?28937-How-do-I-set-up-my-first-discus-tank
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?35043-The-ease-of-cleaning-bare-bottom-tanks
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?46982-What-not-to-buy
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?30902-Some-of-what-I-ve-learned...

After reading those threads you should be able to look at what you are doing and whats recommended and make the changes needed if you really want to succeed with discus.

If after reading thru those threads you need more help, we have a questionaire that you can fill out here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?94348-Tank-Setup-Questionaire

That will help more experienced Discus keepers get you on the right track...First step though is to educate yourself thoroughly using resources like these.

hth,
al

eaglesfan3000
03-10-2012, 08:55 AM
With ammonia that high you should be doing a 80% WC everyday. That's what I'm doing in my QT tank, try using a sponge pre-filter on your HOB.

benico
03-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Do you guys buy digital pH meters etc to measure all these chemical levles?

brewmaster15
03-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Do you guys buy digital pH meters etc to measure all these chemical levles? I prefer digital meters. They are more accurate than colorometric tests or test strips, IME.

-al

IanGreer
03-10-2012, 06:29 PM
@Judy: Well now I'm a bit confused. I was told by several people before buying these fish that I could manage keeping two in a small tank. Both people I talked to told me that the two discus might not get along at first, but that the scenario was certainly doable. If you think that what they told me isn't true, then I will try and save up some money to upgrade my tank, even if it means I will not get more discus right away. I hope you don't think that I am out to abuse these fish, or that I do not care enough to maintain their health. If I move to a larger, ie. 75 gallon tank, within the end of the month, will I be able to keep my two discus and add more down the line? Or do you think I should sell what I have and start over. I really don't fancy the idea of getting rid of my discus, but I don't want them to suffer if there's no way of keeping them happy until I have enough cash to upgrade.

@Orange Crush: Thank you!! I always thought that the dechlor would be more effective it was added to the aquarium water as a whole, but I will do it the right way from now on. Last time I tested it, my PH was at 6.4 thereabouts. I was surprised it wasn't higher considering I have a pretty high ammonia reading, and because I have heard of discus being raised well in an aquarium with up to 8 PH! My nitrite/nitrate readings are outdated (from several weeks ago) and I will go to buy a new test kit first thing tomorrow. Using an ammonia test kit yesterday, it was reading very high - between 0.2 and 0.3 PPM. Very bad. I am going to change out almost all of my water and remove the gravel in the next few minutes here and I will post a new reading once it stabilizes.

@Brewmaster: I will definitely check those out! Thanks for the help.

@Eaglesfan3000: I am about to do an ~80% water change right now. I'll set up my two buckets with some airstones to balance the water for another change tomorrow, unless you think that is too drastic.

Thanks everyone for the help! I found a 75 gallon acrylic tank locally that is within my price range, I will go check it out soon. I'm still dead set on keeping my two discus, and keeping them healthy. I'll be sure to post updates as changes occur.

1Chuck9669
03-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Hi Ian,

Glad to have you here on Simply Discus. Just an FYI in case you did not know, Al (brewmaster) started this site many years ago. His response should be taken seriously. This site has kept my Discus alive since I joined in 2008. No need to panic, the more experienced members are more than willing to help at any time. This is a great site. I am glad you found a bigger tank. Make sure it cycles properly before you add the Discus and make sure you have good areation (sp?)(surface agitation) as well. Keep up a minimum of 50% water changes. Don't stress, this site is here to help you succeed. Best of luck man!!!

judy
03-10-2012, 07:45 PM
You can keep a **mated pair** of two in a small tank-- but NOT a 20 gallon. Minimum would be a forty gallon. Don't know who would have told you that, but I cannot imagine any informed, experienced forum members would tell you that. Your ammonia MUST be zero. Your nitrites MUST be zero. The fact that you have ammonia in that amount screams poor maintenance, or an uncycled tank. If you want to try and keep your current discus, which may already have been fatally damaged if they have been in ammonia-laden water for any period of time, then you MUST keep those levels at zero. No matter how many water changes you need to do to keep the water clean.
And please, read the threads Al has suggested, and take them to heart!

Jeapa
03-11-2012, 12:24 PM
You can keep a **mated pair** of two in a small tank-- but NOT a 20 gallon. Minimum would be a forty gallon. Don't know who would have told you that, but I cannot imagine any informed, experienced forum members would tell you that. Your ammonia MUST be zero. Your nitrites MUST be zero. The fact that you have ammonia in that amount screams poor maintenance, or an uncycled tank. If you want to try and keep your current discus, which may already have been fatally damaged if they have been in ammonia-laden water for any period of time, then you MUST keep those levels at zero. No matter how many water changes you need to do to keep the water clean.
And please, read the threads Al has suggested, and take them to heart!

I am new here and haven't posted much but I am not new to discus or aquarium keeping. I think it is obvious from Ian's post that he is new at this, but he seems really eager to learn and seems to want the best for these discus. Your posts seem to be harsh. Is there a good reason for this? I don't think people learn well when treated like that and it probably keeps many new members from asking questions.

Ian I applaud you for asking questions and I think the links Al gave you to read will get you on the right track. Good luck!

judy
03-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Harsh would be deleted by our esteemed webmaster, who doesn't brook nasty posts. They may seem harsh to you-- but Ian tells us he has been reading threads on the forum for many months-- yet his tank setup and water conditions are flat-out terrible. Hence the bluntness. His little tank is in bad shape and his discus are doing very badly, and I can only surmise that he hasn't fully absorbed the information he surely ran across during his reading.

Jeapa
03-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Harsh would be deleted by our esteemed webmaster, who doesn't brook nasty posts. They may seem harsh to you-- but Ian tells us he has been reading threads on the forum for many months-- yet his tank setup and water conditions are flat-out terrible. Hence the bluntness. His little tank is in bad shape and his discus are doing very badly, and I can only surmise that he hasn't fully absorbed the information he surely ran across during his reading.

Okay Judy. I disagree, but that's just me. Al's post seems to say similar things without the tone. I fully understand the frustration that the experienced members have when new members ask for advice that they clearly aren't going to take, but that isn't the case here. I have read of plenty of experienced discus keepers using 20 gallon tanks for their pairs, but I would not advise this for a first discus tank either. Ian got some bad advice and I am sure this has happened to all of us at some point during our learning.

I will agree to disagree with you Judy and will bow out of this thread now. Sorry to detract from your thread Ian.

I hope your fish are doing better today.

Orange Crush
03-11-2012, 02:46 PM
The experienced discus keepers who keep pairs in a 20gal tank are for medication, QT, or breeding only situations. By no means do any knowledgeable discus keepers keep pairs in 20 gal display tanks.

Jeapa
03-11-2012, 06:02 PM
The experienced discus keepers who keep pairs in a 20gal tank are for medication, QT, or breeding only situations. By no means do any knowledgeable discus keepers keep pairs in 20 gal display tanks.

Agreed. That is what I meant, for breeding and that is why in this case it is not a good idea. sorry if you thought I meant anything else, but most breeding pairs in dedicated tanks stay there unless the pair is broken up for some reason.

I don't disagree with the advice given to Ian I just thought it could have been said in a nicer way.

Ian how are your discus doing today? We're you able to get the 75g tank.?

judy
03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
exactly.

Samsmobb
03-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Okay Judy. I disagree, but that's just me. Al's post seems to say similar things without the tone. I fully understand the frustration that the experienced members have when new members ask for advice that they clearly aren't going to take, but that isn't the case here.Ian got some bad advice and I am sure this has happened to all of us at some point during our learning.

I hope your fish are doing better today.

+1
many people here jump all over new people asking for help who were misguided from the beginning.
The way Al posted, I think, would encourage more people to ask for help without fear of being interrogated so harshly