PDA

View Full Version : Hello newb here

jta00r1
03-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Hello, just signed up to SD.

I have a 55 gal tank and use to have 6 juvenile discus. With gravel , rocks only.

water temp is 85.
PH is 7.6
municiple water also around same ph 7.6 straight from tap
other parameters I don't know.
Change 40% water 3 times a week.
My discus were eating very well up till they were about 4-5 months old, I feed them a blend of beef heart with liver and spinach, then they starting hiding more and slowly stop eating. So I figure it was the water so this time I changed about 60-75% water in tank and the next morning my largest and medium juvi died. I was so disappointed when my big guy died since he was the strongest (most healthy). Now I am down to 1 since the others were slowly wasting away from not eating. Any advice please Thanks.

Jeapa
03-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Welcome. Before anyone can really begin to help you they will need some more information about your tank and fish.

Here is a link to the new member questionaire

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?94348-Tank-Setup-Questionaire

Fill this out and cut and paste it here. Also look at the stickies at the top of the beginners forum and read through them. I am sorry that you have had a rough time with your discus. If you follow the advice given here I am sure your fish will do better and you will gain some valuable insight into what you have been doing wrong.

Orange Crush
03-13-2012, 02:52 AM
Actually since you are dealing with your discus dying it would be better to post this question in the disease section.
Your 1st post should use this disease questionaire that you can copy and paste so people can help you.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

jta00r1
03-16-2012, 12:30 AM
ok , I just purchase a API water test kit. These were my results

temp= 85
tank ph= 7.6
ph from tap= 7.4-7.5
ammonia= 0
nitrite=0
nitrate=0
and I have municiple water.

I thought the results were pretty good, but again I am a newb and probably wrong.

Orange Crush
03-16-2012, 01:34 AM
You really should start a new thread in the disease section with your first post being the "disease questionaire". Copy and paste it and then answer the questions otherwise you will probably not get the help you need.

Are your nitrAtes truely 0 or just close to 0? the only time they would be that low is if either you just did a big water change or your tank is not cycled or your test kit is too old (prob not the case though since you just bought it). However, then I would expect to see some amm or nItes.
You are getting a slight raise in pH after your water has been in the tank from the CO2 in the tap "gassing off" but it is not enough of a diff to be a big concern.
Other than the nAtes result being questionable I would say your water looks good.

If you want more feedback please post in the disease section. I have knowledge about water cond. but not about your discus death. Those with more disease knowledge are probably not responding because 1) you have this post in the wrong section and/or 2) you have not filled out the questionaire so they do not have nearly enough info to help you.

Melissa
03-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Feeding any kind of beef heart mix in a tank with gravel/substrate will only end in grief. Any bits of food that get lost between the cracks just sit there, decompose/fester and foul your water very quickly. Don't be fooled by clear looking water, always use a test kit to determine your true water quality.
When raising discus from a very small size, it is advisable to start them off in a bare bottom tank, or if you can't live without a little decor you can use sand at your own risk... Food and debris collect on the surface of the sand. It is much easier to clean than gravel or rocks.
That said, don't be discouraged. We all start somewhere and you are definitely in the right place to learn how to do it right. As was mentioned above, you should start a thread in the Disease and illness section if you haven't already. Best of luck to you!

Arjunpun
03-16-2012, 03:32 AM
Feeding any kind of beef heart mix in a tank with gravel/substrate will only end in grief. Any bits of food that get lost between the cracks just sit there, decompose/fester and foul your water very quickly. Don't be fooled by clear looking water, always use a test kit to determine your true water quality.
When raising discus from a very small size, it is advisable to start them off in a bare bottom tank, or if you can't live without a little decor you can use sand at your own risk... Food and debris collect on the surface of the sand. It is much easier to clean than gravel or rocks.
That said, don't be discouraged. We all start somewhere and you are definitely in the right place to learn how to do it right. As was mentioned above, you should start a thread in the Disease and illness section if you haven't already. Best of luck to you!

+1
very true. tank without gravel is very important if u just starting discus.thoese beef heart feeding should follow with immediate water change and cleaning.i also advice buying discus from one of the sponsor from here just to be in the safe side.

jta00r1
03-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks all for your reply, I will look for the other thread and post there.