PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Heat Your Water?

sunny
03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Just wondered what everyone is using to heat their water in their fishrooms. Most of us are using your standard aquarium heater, but I wondered if there was anyone using a different method like heater coils or something connected to your water heater?

Skip
03-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Just wondered what everyone is using to heat their water in their fishrooms. Most of us are using your standard aquarium heater, but I wondered if there was anyone using a different method like heater coils or something connected to your water heater?

some seal up the room from a/c.. and just have a SPACE HEATER.. to raise TEMP of the room

Altum Nut
03-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Hey Sunny,

Are you on a central system?
Are you on a drip system?
Or just heating suggestions for individual tanks?
I know my good friend Moon (Joe) is on a drip system and he rigged up a single handle shower valve which allows water set at the right temp to drip into his tanks. Cold from well and hot from home water heater.
I don't have a link but I think someone here on Simply posted something similar once before.

If you plan on heating your room...make sure you seal off ceiling and walls in thick ml plastic. The added humidity will mold inside walls of your upper floor.

...Ralph

Skip
03-14-2012, 05:26 PM
i think TXredNECK had a dehumidifier.. with drainage pipe going outside.. :)

sunny
03-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes I'm running a de humidifier in my fishroom. I'm on a central system and was thinking of using a "Pex" type coil in the sump, connected to my water heater with a temperature controller to turn a pump on and off as required.

roclement
03-14-2012, 05:50 PM
he way utilities are going, I will be rubbing two sticks together are heating my house with a fire! :)

Tank heaters for me!

Rodrigo

zimmjeff
03-14-2012, 06:28 PM
+1

Altum Nut
03-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Sunny,

+1 with Rodrigo.
I don't like central systems, so i'm simple with heating each tank.
Moon is in Burlington, steps away from you. You may want to give him a PM on how he set his up.

...Ralph

1Chuck9669
03-14-2012, 07:00 PM
I purchased my first batch of Discus from a breeder in Denver. He had an out building as his fishroom. The fishroom was equiped with a heating/cooling unit that maintained a constant temprature no matter what the season (84 degrees if I remember right). This is the only fishroom I have visited. As for me, I bred Angelfish in my downstairs for two years and each tank had its own heater. Right now I only have a single 125g Discus display tank with heaters. Just my two cents.

Have a great night,

jimg
03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
I am needing a 300+- gallon storage tote but first looking into how to heat it quick. I am thinking a tankless water heater with a pump. when the water gets full flip a switch and turn on the pump and heater. it should circulate in a short amount of time (?) and heat the water, otherwise I am better off adding more 100gpd ro units to what I have due to it doesn't matter how fast I fill them if they are not heating fast enough.......carry on, just thinking in public!

DerekFF
03-16-2012, 03:55 AM
I think its either heaters in each tank, or heat the room. The room heater people usually use a natural gas heater of sorts to keep it toasty

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DerekFF
03-16-2012, 03:56 AM
I am needing a 300+- gallon storage tote but first looking into how to heat it quick. I am thinking a tankless water heater with a pump. when the water gets full flip a switch and turn on the pump and heater. it should circulate in a short amount of time (?) and heat the water, otherwise I am better off adding more 100gpd ro units to what I have due to it doesn't matter how fast I fill them if they are not heating fast enough.......carry on, just thinking in public!

There are some big boy toy pond heaters that will heat up 300g in a hurry

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jimg
03-16-2012, 09:12 AM
There are some big boy toy pond heaters that will heat up 300g in a hurry

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk I'll check them too thanks

TURQ64
03-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Mine are indoors, and I heat my room, but the turnover rates vary, so there's a pair of 300w Jager's in each tote. I don't trust anything else in tanks, and have had trouble with other brands already in the totes...

jimg
03-16-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm thinking in this line http://www.rheem.com/product/tankless-electric-water-heaters-rte-13.
I have to check pumps though, may need a jet pump like the one i use in my other house for the well to get enough pressure but that's like $600
I have to figure if slower and aquarium heaters vs faster and other heat is more worthwhile.

TURQ64
03-16-2012, 01:47 PM
tankless is too rich for my blood, but this is the pump plumbed to the totes, and basically behind everything I do playing with water. There's a few transfer pumps to hard locations also..
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200352050_200352050

jimg
03-16-2012, 01:50 PM
tankless is too rich for my blood, but this is the pump plumbed to the totes, and basically behind everything I do playing with water. There's a few transfer pumps to hard locations also..
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200352050_200352050 good Idea.. thanks

k7prz
09-08-2012, 10:54 AM
I may post this as a topic of its own, but I have a wood stove in my fish room (insulated garage). I'm trying to figure out a way to heat fresh water with it without having to haul around buckets of water. (Bad back). I need at least 50 gal of
warm water per day---but that size pot won't fit on the stove. Anyone use some sort of heat exchanger? Water pumped
through a pot of heated water? Just thinking.
Dave

Second Hand Pat
09-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Dave, maybe you could add a small hot water heater to your garage for your fish needs.

k7prz
09-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I have an unlimited supply of fire wood and I'm not much of a plumber. lol

Dave