PDA

View Full Version : will this work or?

down2earth
03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
ok. i got a offer for some cheap 55 gallon plastic barrels. they had rubbing alcohol in them. i dont know if i can still use these or not.

can i use these for my tank water or is it unsafe?

discussmith
03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Isopropyl alchohol is soluable in water so I would think a good rinsing would remove enough that might remain after a complete drying that it would be safe to use. I can't think of any possibility of enough being left to effect your storage water.

yim11
03-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Think you can just burn it out, toss a match in and it should clear everything.......and then some. LOL

JUST KIDDING - DON'T DO THIS!

Bud
03-20-2012, 10:35 PM
If your fish seem to SWI(swim while intoxicated),ABORT!!But really Id think a couple hot water flushes,or cutting tops off and exposing to sunlight should break it down.Definately be able to smell when its gone.My barrels had apple juice FLAVORING in them,I couldnt even bleach it out,I cut half the barrel top open leaving a 4" strip uncut for a "hinge",left it open in the sun and it finally stopped stinking.

down2earth
03-20-2012, 10:41 PM
One or 2 of these are goin to make a filter for my small 75 gallon pond. So I wanted to use them right away. There is no fish in the pond yet so I'm not worried about killin fish but what about my plants. This is out side so this will work

Bud
03-20-2012, 10:51 PM
ever check ebay for filers? They have big aquarium and pond canister filters for CHEAP!And alot of them have uv for algae control.

down2earth
03-20-2012, 11:22 PM
i have one of these drums already running in my house. its running my discus tank. it works great. i do water changes every week now instead of every day. plus i only do 35 gallons instead of 40 like i was before i added it. the system is a 60 gallon tank with a 35 gal drum.

im trying to see if it will work at cooler temp with plants in the system.

its a planter box that drains into the sump.

sump drains into the pond. pond pumps back to the planter....

the planter is filled with rocks. this will help with filtering. but the biggest thing is this 55 gallon sump. so we will see how this all works out.