PDA

View Full Version : Correct use of Gram Scale

Second Hand Pat
03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
So I received my gram scale, unwrapped and calibrated it last night. So this is most likely a stupid question but guessing the best way to weight your meds is to find a small cap into which you will place the med. Weight the cap, calculate the weight of the med based on dosage for number of gallons and add the two weights together.

Add some of the meds to the cap and weight it on the scale. Remove the cap from the scale and add/remove the med to the cap and reweight until you are at the target weight. Missing anything here?

yim11
03-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Check you see if you scale has a tare option, it should. Put the cap on the scale, tare to 0 then add meds for correct weight.

HTHs

TURQ64
03-21-2012, 11:39 AM
The lid of mine removes to become a container..same thing; turn on, wait for zero, place container, push tare, goes back to zero

Second Hand Pat
03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks Jim and Gary :)

seanyuki
03-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Hi pat......I have two scales at home.......one to measure med contents.(precise).....and the other for homemade foods with tare option.

being lazy all the time....for foods....this scale

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=369493#axzz1poW7XvYa

for meds.....personal reference....mine is 0.01 gm

imo this scale is good enough to calculate meds in mgs................perhaps others could chime in

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/jennings-jscale-js-200xv.html

just sharing.

Second Hand Pat
03-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks Francis, I ended up getting this one,

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-gempro-50.html

I liked the fact it has a resolution of mg. It does indeed have a tare feature. :)

ZX10R
03-22-2012, 07:49 AM
I got one off ebay that measures 0.01 for $28 has a 2.5" platform but I am finding out it works great just need to calibrate it before each use. Do you have a sick fish Pat are you weighing out meds?

Second Hand Pat
03-22-2012, 09:21 AM
I got one off ebay that measures 0.01 for $28 has a 2.5" platform but I am finding out it works great just need to calibrate it before each use. Do you have a sick fish Pat are you weighing out meds?

Sean, I have a non-eater in the mixed wilds tank and want to deworm using Vermisol powder.

ZX10R
03-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear Pat. When I had my 5 that got sick recently vermisol fixed 4 of them the last one I had to pull and use metro+kanamycin after 10 days he is fine and back with the group eating. I am no expert but that is what I did and it worked.

Good Luck hope he gets better

Second Hand Pat
03-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Sorry to hear Pat. When I had my 5 that got sick recently vermisol fixed 4 of them the last one I had to pull and use metro+kanamycin after 10 days he is fine and back with the group eating. I am no expert but that is what I did and it worked.

Good Luck hope he gets better

Thanks Sean

Keith Perkins
03-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Well here's a tip for you guys. The next time you need to weight out meds or something, try this with your scale. Put the container you're going to weight the meds in on the scale before you turn the scale on. Mine seems to self tare every time you turn it on. May not work with your type/brand of scale, but it does mine.

Second Hand Pat
03-24-2012, 12:44 AM
Well here's a tip for you guys. The next time you need to weight out meds or something, try this with your scale. Put the container you're going to weight the meds in on the scale before you turn the scale on. Mine seems to self tare every time you turn it on. May not work with your type/brand of scale, but it does mine.

Thanks Keith, I will try that but did find I could place the container on the scale and push the tare button and the weight would go to zero. If I removed the container the scale would show the weight of the container. Place the container back on the scale and it would go to zero. I am pretty sure I am using it correctly.

Jacob2
04-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Most of the scale don't adjust to zero when you have a container on the surface before you turn on that scale. So you must adjust it to zero after you turn it on and have container on the surface for getting accurate measurement.

rickztahone
04-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Most of the scale don't adjust to zero when you have a container on the surface before you turn on that scale. So you must adjust it to zero after you turn it on and have container on the surface for getting accurate measurement.

The OP was well over a year ago.

Second Hand Pat
04-09-2014, 11:53 AM
The OP was well over a year ago.

Yup and my scale and I are old buds :)

ronald sherman
05-07-2014, 03:24 PM
hey sorry too high jack I bought a gram scale a few week's ago didn't know what the tar feauture was for used it once by question is pat how did you calibrate I can't read the direction's as they are too small fot it on e-bay for 9.00

ronald sherman
05-07-2014, 03:27 PM
after reading your feature your must be a much better and more exspience 1 than mine as i.c your came with a 10 gram weight too calibrate mine didn't and most likely don't have that feature

Jacob2
07-11-2014, 02:32 AM
In most balance scales (http://www.primescales.com/store/balance-scales/?sl=EN) you can use tare button to adjust your scale at zero before taking any measurement. And known weight method is best for calibration and you can also calibrate it with coins which have fix weight.

DISCUS STU
08-17-2014, 10:58 PM
The "Tare" option is right, it "zeros out"/negates the weight of the container so your weighing just the meds. A good scale should have standards weights to verify calibration. I like my small DigiWeigh (Digital Scales TM) scale and use the small plastic cups normally used for cough medicine for the container. This scale has 50 gram and 100 gram calibration standards. It's a good idea to check the calibration of the scale every once in a while just in case it drifts. Good luck with your Discus. A scale is much easier, and more accurate, than trying to figure it out by measure size.