PDA

View Full Version : Help please

krislewis3
03-25-2012, 10:08 AM
I have 4 juvi discus in a 40 gallon tank.....I've had them for 6 weeks and all seemed good until this morning when I noticed one of them scratching himself fairly often on my air tubing! I suspect flukes! I htreated with quick cure according to the directions of 1 drop per gallon. I am not clear on how to progress .....any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!:(:laugh:Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem. I suspect flukes

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
scratching

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
Quick cure, 1 drop for each gallon. I've done this once, and am awaiting further advice from you guys!

Tank/Water: city water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
40 gallon, has been set up for 3 months, 4 juvenile
Discus, 2 Bolivian rams, 2 Cory cat fish

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
50% water change every other day

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp
- ph
- ammonia reading
- nitrite reading
- nitrate reading
- well water
no
- municipal water
yes
7. Any new fish/plants
added recently
No

BigBruiserAl
03-25-2012, 10:53 AM
There should absolutely no nitrite in the water, is the tank cycled if so how?

krislewis3
03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
The tank was cycled with several tetras and some car fish that lived in it for 3 'months while I prepared for the much anticipated discus!!!! The nitrite may be 0... The strips are difficult to read between the 0 and the .5! can you recommend a better test?

BigBruiserAl
03-26-2012, 07:00 PM
without a shadow of doubt Salifert are the best your going to get for home testing, alot of people use API but i have 3 kits all gave false readings at one time or another