PDA

View Full Version : heating 20 tanks help

random-cichlid
03-31-2012, 10:49 PM
So i was wondering if a centralised sump with a heap of heaters would work
Sump will not be pumping any water thru the tanks as all tanks are separate systems what i was hoping to do would be plumb pipes through all tanks in say a u so im pumping hot water thru the pipes and back to the sump
if this seems like it will work let me know
if u have any other ideas i will be interested as i do not want to buy 20 heaters and run them all winter

i dont really have the space to build a new room and insulate it properly

Darrell Ward
03-31-2012, 11:04 PM
You could drain and filter your tanks into a central sump, heating only the water in the sump, before the water is returned by pump to the tanks. The cheapest, and most simple way of doing it.

random-cichlid
04-01-2012, 01:57 AM
id do that but i have Africans south Americans and discus all various stages and there breeding and growing out correct me if im wrong fish release hormones as they are growing which stunts other fish also i believe the disadvantages to plumbing 20 tanks in to 1 tank is if u have a problem with 1 tank u have a problem with 20 :(

TURQ64
04-01-2012, 09:05 AM
I've ran central system, closed loops for decades...yes, you can get something in all tanks, blah blah..but you can contaminate a roomful of disconnected tanks in a heartbeat also, so it's moot if you are a fishkeeper. The issue I found over the years, is that my sumps are always smaller than the total of my tanks,so...heaters in sumps aren't enough to keep the temp up on average. The heaters kick off when the sump is at temp, not the tanks. And a controller with the probe in a tank instead doesn't usually have enough outlets for enuff heaters, if you get my drift here...Think 1000 watt industrial heaters (not cheap)