PDA

View Full Version : Sump plumbing

Niblet
04-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Ok....we are finally starting the transition from a 60 gallon to a 120 with a sump. I am the one that tries to find info and then I relay it to the real brains of the family, John. The 120 is drilled with a 1" and 1.5" bulkhead sized holes, vertical overflow configuration. We are planning to do a herbie sort of plumb, using the 1" as the full siphon, and the 1.5" as the 2ndary. The siphon will enter the sump and we would like to use socks as mechanical first step. I have been looking at sock assemblies on ebay and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Here are a couple:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CPR-Pre-Filter-Sock-holder-4-Sock-It-4-DX-Complete-NIB-/320652364886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa85ecc56

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pre-Filter-Sock-Holder-Bubble-Magus-/350472851891?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5199cf51b3

Plan to use pot scrubbers and bioballs as bio, in subsequent sections of the sump. In the center area I was hoping to use plants - like water sprite suggested by Walter. The return pump is a Quiet One 3000 pro, which at 4" should give us 611 gph, which hopefully will match the 1" pipe drain at 590 gph. Does that seem right? I was thinking that a 10 fold turnover per hour was good, but after reading here it looks like 5 is pleanty for discus. Hope that's right.

Also....opinions about gate valves versus ball valves? I know not to get anything with red parts from Home Depot....black ones from Lowe's - right?

Last question....for now....return from pump. Since we are using both drilled holes for drains, we will need to return water from sump back over the top of the aquarium. I know there is no exact answer, but wondered about suggestions for the return design. Split it so it returns to both sides? We would like it to be as unobstrusive as possible.

Thanks for any comments!

Fran

fullmonti
05-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Hi Fran, you still looking for info on this, looks like it's been a while?

If so be happy to share what I have learned about sumps & their pluming.

Jim