PDA

View Full Version : Water Condition.

toan69
04-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi every one,
Just bought a used 50gal corner tank. The tank comes with florite gravel and a few tall rocks and XP2. I have checked and done several water change but the condition is not changed. The pH is 6.4, NH4 is 4.0, N02 is 2.0 and NO3 is 160. I did 75% WC yesterday, but it does not change at all. Please help. What do i need to do? Thanks in advance.
Tom

frinklinduds
04-05-2012, 03:56 PM
i think u need to cycle your tank before u add any fish and i would ditch the gravel jmo

toan69
04-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I do not have any fish yet. I will do a complete wc. If it doesn't change, I will get risk off the subtrate. Thanks

strawberryblonde
04-07-2012, 02:07 AM
I can pretty much guarantee you that the gravel is causing the elevated levels of ammonia and nitrite. It's just a sad fact that many fish keepers don't clean the tank or change the water as often as they should.

When I purchased my 50g corner tank last year I actually got ammonia burns on my hands while scooping out the disgusting gravel! The smell was atrocious when I got past the first inch or two and by the time I got to the bottom I had to turn my head to breathe, then hold my breath while I was working in the tank. UGH!

If you're planning on putting discus in the tank it's just a much safer idea to remove ALL the substrate, decor and any filter media and then to thoroughly clean the tank and filter, heater, etc...before adding anything like a new substrate.

I bleach my tanks, then use plenty of dechlorinator in order to neutralize any remaining bleach after I've rinsed, rinsed and rinsed some more.

Trier20
04-07-2012, 02:08 AM
You need to cycle your tank. Tetra safe start is a good way to do a fish less cycle. I've heard of people using straight ammonia too. Add to your tank and wait for your Ammonia nitratate and nitrites to get back to 0 before adding any fish. Might take a couple days or and few weeks just takes time. Good luck

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?f1nqix
-Brandon

tonytheboss1
04-07-2012, 06:12 PM
:bandana: Not knowing the tank history, I would err on the side of caution & scrap the gravel & media. Clean the rocks or other decorations, the tank, & XP2 w/ bleach & as Tonisaid rinse, rinse & rinse some more. Start your 'nitrogen cycle' a new (http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Cow_Fishless_Cycle.html) & once completed, figure how you wanna stock that 50g corner. "T"

toan69
04-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks Tony,
You are right on the money. That is exactly what happened. When I scooped the subtrate and put in the tank, the smell became so bad. I just removed the subtrate and rock. I have to start my water cycle again. Hopefully, this time it will be ok.

noise cancelling
04-17-2012, 08:02 AM
i think u need to cycle your tank too.