PDA

View Full Version : ok another feeding question.

Teshi
04-05-2012, 03:59 PM
I have a small discus fish in a QT and I can't get it to eat anything BUT Frozen BW. I have mixed dried flake with them to get some other nutrients in it.

I've gone 4days now without it eating anything. It won't touch the FD Bloodworms. I even ordered FD Blackworms from Al. I've tried Beefheart and just flakes.. also Discus Bio-Gold. It won't touch any of them. I put in the frozen Bloodworm mixed with the "Brine shrimp plus flakes" from Ocean Nutrition and it is gone in about 15 mins.

This fish isn't growing. The other fish I got when I purchased them are way bigger. Any ideas?

I got these fish from "world of fish" in MPLS and after reading a lot on the forums I got them about the time they purchased fish from Hans Discus. I don't know if they are the same fish but they are very nice looking from other fish I've seen in LFS.

bronzie8
04-05-2012, 06:20 PM
A higher temp helps with not eating, but first, why is he in QT? If he is not showing sign of illness, he may be a runt. Got any pics?

Orange Crush
04-05-2012, 06:37 PM
If it is a bacterial illness, higher temps can cause the bacteria to multiply more quickly. Know what you are dealing with first...

Teshi
04-05-2012, 09:39 PM
He was in QT so I could raise the temp to 92 due to mucous poops. They are good now when he does eat the Frozen BW. That is resolved but because he is so much smaller than the others I kept him in the QT until he starts eating better.

I'll try to get some pics up.

shoveltrash
04-06-2012, 08:26 AM
water quality is good?
have you tried freeze dried bloodworms? Hikari makes some, I soak them to feed - my Discus love 'em, and they are much more nutritious than the frozen BW.

I've wondered about cases of "failure to thrive". obviously water quality plays a big role, but what else? genetics? perhaps being all alone doesn't help?

Teshi
04-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Yep I've tried the Freeze dried Bloods from Hikari too.

Water is great. I change about 80% a day. 0-ammonia 0-nitrites and <.25 nitrates. PH 7.8 temp 92.

Could it have tapeworms? and not growing due to that? But his poops are nice and dark now.

shoveltrash
04-07-2012, 07:28 AM
perhaps it needs deworming......but I hate to advise this, based on so little info.
photo?
and filling out the questionnaire in the disease/sickness section might get you more responses from knowledgable people.