PDA

View Full Version : Light truth!

Eti
04-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Hi guys

I am reading so many articles in the light fixtures and my brain is fried...everybody has a different story, so I just have a couple of questions and then I guess experience will have my Answers:

-are the T5 HO lights much better than the regular T8 or t12? Let's say we have a t5 HO 48w above a 55g, will that be enough due to the better efficiency of this fixture?
- do the spectrum have such a big influence on plant growth? Some say 6,700k is better for freshwater plans than 10,000k, is it true, does it make a substantial difference?
-everyone is talking about the "balance" between light, co2 and fertilizers, but how do you know you reached the balance?

So far, I am doing very well with my fish but I really want to have a nice planted tank, but I was not expecting such a whole new world of complication!
Thanks a lot for your help and your SIMPLE answers!

jerman
04-09-2012, 11:48 PM
T5 bulbs have a bit more "punch" than t8 or t12. If you have the same wattage of t5 vs t8/12, the t5 just looks crisper IMO . There is no formula for the " balance" of light and co2.... But you reached the balance when your plants are growing well and you have no algae problems. Trial and error is the only way to get there. Anything between 5000k and 10000k will be fine for bulbs.

applekrate
04-10-2012, 01:20 AM
+1 with jerman.

IMO this article was helpful on lighting:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

Orange Crush
04-10-2012, 02:46 AM
T5 bulbs have a bit more "punch" than t8 or t12. If you have the same wattage of t5 vs t8/12, the t5 just looks crisper IMO . There is no formula for the " balance" of light and co2.... But you reached the balance when your plants are growing well and you have no algae problems. Trial and error is the only way to get there. Anything between 5000k and 10000k will be fine for bulbs.
+2
T5s are also more energy efficient.
6,500K and 6,700K are "best" for plants because they are closest to the same wavelenghs of light that the sun produces but, any bulb that is full spectrum will work.

Eti
04-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Thank you guys, very good article.
So if I understand well, having two T5HO bulbs above my aquarium of 25inches deep will still be considered as high light?thanks

Psionic
05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Thank you guys, very good article.
So if I understand well, having two T5HO bulbs above my aquarium of 25inches deep will still be considered as high light?thanks

I'd say 4 would be high light. Would they be 25 inches from the top of the substrate to lights? If you keep the lights lower to the glass, you'd get more light to the bottom. It would be even better if they have good reflectors. The more light bulb reflections you can see bouncing off the metal, the better.

2 t5ho bulbs with good reflectors can do ok for low and medium light plants, maybe even a couple of high lights. But if you want to go with plants that are different colors and more exotic, the extra bulbs would help a lot.

-Val

Stuewart
05-05-2012, 01:49 PM
I'd say 4 would be high light. Would they be 25 inches from the top of the substrate to lights? If you keep the lights lower to the glass, you'd get more light to the bottom. It would be even better if they have good reflectors. The more light bulb reflections you can see bouncing off the metal, the better.

2 t5ho bulbs with good reflectors can do ok for low and medium light plants, maybe even a couple of high lights. But if you want to go with plants that are different colors and more exotic, the extra bulbs would help a lot.

-Val

+1
Your lights will work better for plants being lower down to the tank, and youll need a few bulbs to be in 'high light' at the bottom of the tank.

walt3
05-05-2012, 02:22 PM
i didnt want to struggle with the balance stuff so i go no ferts no co2 with 260 watts of compact flourescents over my 75 with decent reflectors and so far so good. the plants dont like the daily water changes so i have read but the fish do so oh well. :)

Orange Crush
05-06-2012, 02:02 AM
i didnt want to struggle with the balance stuff so i go no ferts no co2 with 260 watts of compact flourescents over my 75 with decent reflectors and so far so good. the plants dont like the daily water changes so i have read but the fish do so oh well. :)
You will struggle with the balance stuff as long as you have that much light with no ferts or CO2. You are going to grow a LOT of algae and the plants are going to die without ferts if you are doing enough water changes to keep your nitrAtes <5 ppm.

Wjmulder
05-06-2012, 11:34 AM
No ferts, no co2, lots of water changes, standard t5s, plants and fish growing like crazy.......

Oh, and no problem with algae